It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:45 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Odyessy in "F" Open

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: Odyessy in "F" Open

Postby Grindl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Well ... The "Odyssey" is nearing completion , and I am very proud to announce that I have received my confirmation as a competitor in the 2018 Berger Southwest Nationals . Yes ; Boys & Girls , A Mosin actioned target rifle will be competing in one of the biggest rifle matches in the country . Against some of the best shooters on the planet .

In preparation , I am shooting 100 rounds a week till next Feb , and my scoring is getting more consistent with changing wind conditions .The majority of my practice is being done at 600 yards , as I'm a Mid-range competitor , because the 1,000 yard slots had already been filled when my entry was filed . This whole project was based on the idea that a solid , tight M-N actioned rifle could compete equally with some of the finest high-dollar , custom target rifles made . Now ; I'm going to get the chance to do it , and looking forward to it .

Odd thing occurring though . My "X" count is going down slowly , the more I practice , but my total scores are coming up . I'm dropping fewer points . Shooting fewer 9's & 8's . Do I expect to win my class ? No ! But I do expect to be competitive . Keep ya posted .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 196 times
Kudos  Received: 141 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 am

Awesome brother. Good luck. Keep us updated.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Great shooting. I can't wait to hear of your results at the Berger SWN. I would like to computer there too. Some day.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:59 pm

As with all Long Range shooters , we are in a constant state of change , looking to improve performance and raise the score . Since the last post , I have shot in the Arizona State 600 yard Match . Did pretty good on Saturday , placing fifth in the Master Class , but Sunday was a completely different story . The wind came up , shifting completely around the compass , and gusting from nothing , to 20 mph gusts , and back to nothing in a split second . Not good conditions for a 155gr bullet , or even a 175gr at 600 yards . I finished near last in class , but it was a valuable learning experience . The "F" Open class winner was shooting the Berger 200.20X bullet , and his "X"-count showed the advantage of a heavy bullet , even at 600 yards .

I have changed my bi-pod from a tactical type , to a "Flex-Bipod", made by Kreativ Engineering , out of Ohio . The designer ; Dan Pohlabagh is a world-class shooter / engineer , and this bi-pod was used to set records at Raton , N.M. last year . I've also changed rear bags , purchasing a Edgewood leather rear support bag . These two changes should greatly improve my scoring ability by making the rifle much more stable , and repeatable to return to battery . I've also found a very nice load I'm refining using the 175gr Sierra TMK , with A-4064 powder . And have begun working on a 200.20X load also . I'll put them on the reloading page when I have it dialed in . And the journey continues . :roll:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:03 am

Heavy bullets are the bomb. Only downside is the extra recoil.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Grindl » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Have shot in several sessions doing load testing on the two new loads . The first is :
175gr Sierra 175 TMK
43.6gr. A-4064
S&B Case - 2.110
S&B Large Rifle Primer
***Sierra TMK's have be proven to be more accurate when loaded to .010-015 off contact with the throat . The Base of the case to Ogive length ( BTO )is : 3.330", using a Hornady comparator / caliper .*** If you have greater free-bore , try to set the bullet as close to the throat as possible , and still keep approx. .200 bearing surface in case . This load is very similar to a standard M-N load , using 53gr. of A-4350 and a 174gr SMK for a .311 barreled Mosin . Just about 120 fps faster . Better BC bullet .
#2. 185gr Berger Juggernaut ( Target ) 1,000 yds. load w/a good 26" barrel ...Consistent 8-10" pattern on 20 rounds at 1,000 .
Case , primer data , same as above .
Powder , A-4064
Berger's like about a 015 - .020 jump for best accuracy at 600 or longer . I load this round above normal for a 1,000 yard load , so I will advise to do your own load , for your chamber . Hogdens has workable info for working out a good 185gr load . Do the math for both the 180gr and 190gr loads , and find a 60-65% load for a "middle of the road" starting point for safety .

If you've read this far ; The 4064 powders are a excellent powder for consistency , but they are not as temp stable as some others . 4064 powders does increase pressure at detonation as temperatures increase . Though it is a very popular target shooters powder , use extreme caution with any load when the temps go above 95 degrees F. This is a "Cool Weather" powder . Please do not develop a 95% super-load in November , and start blastin away with that load in August . Ya might not like the outcome . Start low - Work up . I stop shooting 4064 when the temps reach 90-95F .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:58 am

I hope you do awesome. Would be nice to surprise everyone at what a Mosin can do. Wish I could go to this myself but its during the Great American Outdoor show that I have to attend.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Grindl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for the encouragement . Going to shoot in a 3x60 mid-range match tomorrow , and one more practice session before the SWN . My average scores have been in the high 180's / low 190's and gradually improving as I get used to the new bi-pod & rear bag .

There are only about 7 or 8 former Natl. & World Champions in the field , so if I can get inside the Top 20 , I'm good with it .
For those who aren't familiar with NRA "F"class , "F"-Open is the toughest division within the discipline . Super high-dollar equipment , and the best L/R Target shooters in the world , across the class . I'll give it my best effort . That's all anyone can do . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Good luck buddy. I’ll be pulling for you.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

Well ; the "Berger" is over , and I've had five days to digest everything , and the result is simple ....

I screwed up my loads , and threw away any chance of a good result . The rifle performed flawlessly , and the shooter was functional , but , at the last minute , while loading my Match rounds , I chose to increase my load by .30gr , and my target looked like a shot-gun pattern .

Out three strings , I had one decent run from the middle string , but not enough to over-come the loading error . As Brian Litz ; ballistics expert & world champion shooter has stated , "Never change your load going into a Match". I should have listened ..
Just had to push it a little hotter , and I was already on the edge , without knowing it .

I learned a fantastic amount of information , just by being on the "Line" and in the "Pits" with a large group of the best shooters in the world , and as a former Natl. Champion told me , "You weren't making wind call or shooting mistakes , you made a loading mistake . And we've all done that , at some point ". At the time ; it didn't make me feel any better , but I now understand that the drive to succeed at this level , can , and will cause a person to make un-wise choices . Trying to hard at the loading bench is just as bad as trying to hard on the line .
And there is always next year..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Already registered for the Az. State Mid Range , so we'll try it again , with better ( useable ) loads . Hopefully ; for a better result . Disappointed that I let down the M-N community , but I can tell every M-N shooter , the rifle did it's job . The rifle wasn't the problem .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum