It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Odyessy in "F" Open

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: Odyessy in "F" Open

Postby Grindl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 am

2017-03-21 09.24.56.jpg
The Rock Solid "Low Pro" scope mount installed , and the Bolt notch cut into the stock .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am

The re-coil buffer arrived from Stock Positioning Systems , along with the hardware for the cheek-riser ...After some very careful measuring , 1 1/16" got whacked off the shoulder area of the stock and I used the mounting plate as a lay-out template to bore the 1" hole for the compensator / buffer tube , and mounting holes .

The SPS system is a excellent buffer / recoil system ; primarily designed for Trap & Skeet shot-gunners , and being familiar with the product , I knew it was the right choice for this build , from my time as a Trap shooter . It is very adjustable and has three different "load" springs available . A bit pricey ; but worth it , when you consider shooting 80-120 rounds in a day . Two days in a row . Based on the number of matches you're signed up for .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:21 am

2017-03-31 13.23.41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Deathsythe311 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Looking really sweet! Who did you have do the paint? I would have done it for you at cost.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:40 pm

All of the prep work and Dura-coat ; on the magazine and receiver was done by me . Thought these small projects would be a good way to get my feet wet on using Dura-coat products .

My goal ; when I started this project was to do all of the fabrication and assembly of this rifle , with the exception of the action / barrel assembly , using only hand and power tools in my garage .

The stock thickness was reduced at mid-point using a 4"x4" sander , and triangle finishing sander for detail finishing .

The cheek riser was cut off the stock using a hand coping saw , w/a fine-tooth blade and sanded to flat on the base w/ the triangle finish sander . As was the matching area of the stock . The Bolt tunnel in the cheek riser was done using a 3/4" wood bit in a standard variable speed 3/8" drill , but the key to doing it was very careful measuring , before starting to drill , and re-checking along the way . Excess wood was then removed using the Dremel to create the U-shaped tunnel . And more sanding by hand to achieve the grade and finish .

All expansion in-letting for bedding was done using a Dremel tool , and countless fittings to insure proper fit , along the way , and get the correct depth through-out , for a solid bedding base .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm

2017-03-21 09.27.02.jpg

Bolt notch has been finished , and Rock Solid Low-Pro mount re-installed .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 pm

2017-05-18 11.00.03.jpg

Bolt shown in full rear-ward position , inside tunnel .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:54 am

2017-05-19 12.23.04.jpg

Scope is a Vortex , 6-24x50 HS-T and rings are Burris XTR set with four sets of inserts that will allow up to 25 MOA additional offset . Pricey ; but well worth it . Quality is excellent .

Should anyone choose to use these rings for a build , I suggest going to the Burris site and printing the instructions . They have several charts that do not come with the rings that are invaluable for proper set-up and correct mounting .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 am

2017-05-21 15.51.42.jpg

Finished . Sort of . Since this photo was taken ; Barrel break-in has begun , and I'm slowly walking the scope in to a close "zero" along the way . Soon as I get it out to 200 yards , I'll post some targets for those who are interested .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:16 pm

This build not have been possible without all of the knowledge and assistance I've received from the many members of this site , who have contributed the information in every post on SOCAMO . The members here are a encyclopedia of M-N modding , and rifle building skills . And the best part of it is ; There are no secrets or information ever held back , and every member is extremely open to supplying info or data on any topic . Thanks to all you.

And a very special Thank You goes out to David Fair , at Coyote Creek Armory , for the beautiful work of building the action and barrel insertion . After the initial action was returned to me , it was discovered that the chambering was unsuitable for a purpose-built 1,000 yard rifle . David and I spoke about where changes should be made to the reamer , and it was sent to Dave Manson , of Manson Precision Reamers , and I returned the action to CCA .

To make a long story shorter ; Dave Manson took the data I'd worked up , and two "Dummy" rounds of the bullets I'd be using , and re-configured the reamer to a VLD long range standard , from the standard M-N CIP standard reamer . David Fair at CCA then shortened the rear of the barrel by .250 , and re-cut the chamber . This is where I tell you that David Fair is a excellent Gun-smith who does outstanding work . My rifle is shooting a five round group at 100 yards that can be covered with a quarter . And the barrel is not broken in yet . I think I've got a real live Tack-driver , thanks to David Fair's diligence , patience , and skills . As a customer I can say that David ; and Katie , his wife , will go to any lengths to surpass any idea of customer service you were used to twenty years ago , but don't find very often today . So if you're looking for a Gun-smith you can trust , I can only suggest you give them a call or send them a e-mail .
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
BTW ...I'm waiting for CCA to finish their development program for the 6.5x47 M-N action . My next build . With a CCA / M-N action . :shh:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum