It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Odyessy in "F" Open

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Odyessy in "F" Open

Postby Grindl » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:43 am

Beginning a new project ; and it is probably , ( to me )one of the most difficult things I've ever under-taken . A "F" Open rifle that is chambered in 7.62x54r , and shoots a .308 bullet , for all the obvious reasons . Bullet selection and availability .
Off to a great start ; as I've finally received the barrel after waiting five months , and I'm about three to four weeks from getting the stock . Here is a list of parts this build will consist of .
Receiver / Bolt....1942 Izzy , Hi-wall Round - non matching
Barrel....Kreiger , 27"-5R blank , finish length to be 26".
Stock....Richards , Prone Culbertson in Apache Gold laminate
Trigger Group.... Timney , set at 2 pounds break
Scope....Vortex Viper , HS-T 6x24x50 w/EBR 1-MOA reticule / turrets .

Now ; it's time to involve the members here , for their advice and knowledge on various aspects of this build .
David Fair ; at Coyote Creek Armory will be doing the re-barrel , and the associated work to the action , but I will be under-taking the rest of the project , myself .

Having done several partial , and full bedding jobs on a few SKS and AK's , along with a full bed job and total stock "Mod" to my Archangel Mosin , I've always used J-B Weld for this work . Never been dis-satisfied with the results , or finished product , but working time has always been a problem . Think it might be being caused by the ambient humidity & temps here in Phoenix ,so I'm looking at Brownell's "Steel Bed" compound for this build , as it has a longer working time , and seems to have a following in the M-N community of builders and "Smiths".

Would really like to hear from anyone who has used the Steel Bed , and what you think the pro's and cons for it are .

The Odyssey begins .....and my wife says I've completely lost my mind . :crazy: Told her I think I'm in good company , as she walked out the room muttering and shaking her head , as only a wife can .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Re: Odyessy in "F" Open

Postby Deathsythe311 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:21 am

I've used JB weld in all my bedding jobs here in AZ. If you need help let me know. You could come over one day and paint that other stock of yours you want. Is your smith drilling and tapping your scope mount to? We could duracoat the full rifle as well if you want. Just get the color and I'll use my air brush gun. The only cost would be the paint.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 34 times
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am

The scope mount is being drilled , tapped and mounted by CCA also.

Except for the painting on the Archangel ; it is pretty much finished for now . And for budgetary reasons , I'm directing funds towards the new build . I'd like to have it finished and "shot-in", in time for the "Berger Natls." next spring . Time is gonna be tight to get it done .

I'll text you about Dura-coating the Archangel as soon as I figure out how to get all my projects , Honey-do's , and side jobs all caught up . If there were thirty hours in a day , I'd probably still be askin for two more .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Grimstod » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:49 am

I wish you the best of luck on your project.

I have used the brownells steel bedding before. I used it on my first five guns. Have since switched to j-Bweld and can't really see a difference.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 285 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:00 am

rlee.gif

Can't wait to see it..
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 362 times
Kudos  Received: 341 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby CCA762 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:38 am

Grindl,
I normally use Devcon for bedding rifle actions. You might want to check it out. Devcon 10110 is the type I use, it sets up in about 24hrs. and is close enough to real steel that it can be machined if necessary. Just my two cents worth. Looking forward to building your rifle, can't wait to see how it turns out. Sorry guys that I've been absent here lately, have had a pretty full plate. Yáll take care.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 32 times
Kudos  Received: 20 times

Postby iridium-192 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:42 am

Devcon is really good stuff, I use nothing but Devcon Steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 322 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 am

Mark ; You're killin me , R.O.F.L.M.A.O....That was great ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iridium & David : I'll check out the Devcon . Since this is my first full bed job on a brand new wood ( laminate ) stock , I'm just a little nervous about doing the relief and clearance Dremel work for the bedding compound . I've made stuff that's gone to the moon , but this has me nervous ? Go figure .

And thanks for the good words , Grimstod . Appreciated from someone doing very nice "F" class builds .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Update : Richards Micro-fit called on Friday and told me my stock was machined ; would go to the sanding dept. on Monday , and be shipped by the end of the week . Happy Days ...... :clap:

The 30mm Vortex matched rings arrived the other day , and they sure look like Seekins , to me . I've read that Vortex gets some of their rings from a couple of very high end manufacturers , for some of their "Graded" products . I looked at Seekins ; and some other Match Grade rings , and they are just plain beyond my budget . :(

More to follow .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 am

Well ; We've turned the calendar , and we have a Pro-gun POTUS now , but I'm still scrambling for just the "right" parts on this build . After a long conversation with David at CCA , he recommended using Burris XTR rings over the Vortex matched set I had purchased . After a little reading and research , I ordered the Burris XTR rings this morning . Price is nearly the same , but for those not familiar with the XTR's , they have inserts that will allow you to add MOA into your scope mounting . The HS-T has 65 MOA in the turret , but I'll happily accept another 20 MOA .

Virtually 85-90% of the stock bedding inletting is done , as I used my "stock original" 43 Izzy barreled action as a stand-in to get ahead of the clock . The plan was ; to have this finished and "shot-in" , to shoot it in the Berger Nationals in February , but I don't think that's going to happen , since the Berger's only a couple weeks away . There's always 2018 .

I've installed a SPS recoil system in the Butt-stock , cut the cheek riser , and I should have the mounting hardware put in this week . Final fit will have to wait till the action comes home .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum