It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Timney trigger in Mosin 91/30 stock

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Timney trigger in Mosin 91/30 stock

Postby rjmt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:25 pm

once upon a time, I ran into a post somewhere that someone removed the safety on a Timney trigger and installed it in a Mosin 91/30 stock. He stated it didn't affect the operation or actual safe operation of the trigger, one just didn't have the Timney safety.

I know what Timney says, but has anyone tried this?
it looks like one can just remove the c-clips and slide it off.
have this Timney trigger and a spare stock to practice on.
will be mounted in conjunction with pillars, so support around the rear action screw will not be an issue

my safety is my trigger finger anyway

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 36 times
Medals: 2
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Re: Timney trigger in Mosin 91/30 stock

Postby iridium-192 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:25 pm

If a grandma would have balls, it would be a grandpa... (Russian folklore wisdom...)))
NO, never tried it, why? :?:
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 325 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:10 am

For the purpose of the discussion ; I'll take Timney Triggers without safety's for $200.00 , Bob .

What would be the purpose of putting a Timney in , without a safety bar , other than not having to cut the relief in the stock for it ? And then ; Not being able to make the gun safe to handle ?

Have you considered that when the safety bar is put on safe on a M-N Timney trigger , that the possibility of a A.D. is virtually zero . The design "locks" the trigger mechanism , and does not allow the possibility of the release of the cocking mechanism / firing pin should the gun be dropped accidently with a round in the chamber .
I think there is also the possibility of having a A.D. just by closing the bolt on a "Hot" round , if the trigger mechanism got worn excessively , or broke on it's own from normal usage . And your finger wouldn't be on the trigger then , either .

Only bringing these points up because of potential safety concerns . Hope I don't offend anyone by expressing thoughts regarding a safety issue . In my mind , I don't think it would be a wise thing to do . To any firearm .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby rjmt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 am

I've already considered all of this. The chance of me wearing out a Timney trigger in my life is non-existant, so the worn trigger scenario can be discarded.
I have NEVER engaged the safety on any of my Mosins, I carry them empty and only load a single round, when pointed down range. At our local firing range, we just pull the bolt back and install a chamber flag, I've never been asked to engage the safety on a Mosin. I'm not going to use one in Stalingrad or Afghanistan, so the stress of combat is not an issue. I don't go hunting with one, ether.
A.D? That is my only consern, but only experience can tell me that.
I've been modifying Mosin triggers for year, with no failure or AD.
I am pretty good at the "Finn Mod", bending the spring,
polishing and releaving the trigger spring sear.
I have them as light as 3.5 lbs with no problems. Average on all my modified Mosins is 5 lbs. And I pound the buttstock on the ground to test for accidental discharge.
This is for a PEM scoped target rifle, pampered and only taken out on the range, shot off the bags and NEVER loaded until it's on the bags, pointed down range.

Why a Timney trigger? I installed one on my accurized Mauser and it really improved trigger control and accuracy. By the way, the military safety on my Mauser quit working during WW 2 and has never been a problem since I've owned the rifle.

and come to think of it, I can't remember ever engaging the safety on my Rem 700 VS or any of my Garands. For 50 years, I just pull the bolt back and stick in a chamber flag, as my father taught me.

mainly, I was asking if anyone had done so? This being the case, I'll keep you informed of the project. If it doesn't work, you can be assured I will inform the forum. And I never take offense if someone offers suggestions, positive or otherwise, that's why I asked the forum.

Old man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby rjmt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

OK, I didn't remove the safety yet, just installed the trigger in a '32 Hex reciever.
WOW
WOW
I get no compensation from Timney, associated with them in no way, but this is the greatest thing that ever happened to Mosins
no take-up - minimal overtravel - breaks clean and consistent at 3.5 lbs on the gauge
WOW
I don't need the safety, but I REALLY want this trigger in a Military stock, without butchering it up.
I'll probably just dremmel the safety lever off flush, but leave the safety mechanism in the trigger housing
most of my Mosins are shooters, not collectables, I will be putting Timney triggers in each of my Mosin range rifles

Old man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby rjmt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:33 pm

OK, just so we're all clear, the original Mosin safety mechanism is still inplace and working when a Timney trigger is installed.
just these old rheumatic fingers have difficulty engaging it!!

if one insist on engaging a safety on a Mosin, I think it takes about 25 lbs of pressure to pull it back and twist.

Old man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:49 pm

If you like the Timney you'll really love it with the trigger shoe I designed it to work with stock triggers and Timney too. RSI sells them and they make your Timney feel even better. You might also want to look at one of the stainless steel firing pin springs I designed for it.

The problem with removing the safety is it could also have some impact on the trigger in the since that Timney might use the thickness of the safety as part of the correct spacing for the trigger internal works. I could call Jeff at Timney and ask if anyone has ever done it and or requested it.

Glad to have you on board, good conversation is always welcome here.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby rjmt » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:10 am

Mark, I didn't remove the safety, just cut off the bar.
I'm still in the process of opening up the stock, THAT is more work than I anticipated. Using a dremel and a cutting bit.

I've checked the action with the Timney trigger installed, minus the safety level and it works fine, including slaming it on the ground. No problem with a loaded round in the chamber and no A. D.

the purpose of this project was to hide a Timney trigger in my Mosin PEM Sniper clone, which is used as a target rifle. Hope to finish off the stock this week.

and I have a stainless steel firing pin spring already - don't remember where I got it from.

that's a Vortex scope on it now, the sniper bent bolt clears the scope by only 5mm.

here's a photo of my PEM clone now, should look no different after the Timney trigger install. That's the point

Old Man on the Mountain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Re: Timney trigger in Mosin 91/30 stock -continued

Postby rjmt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:41 pm

finished putting in the Timney trigger today
a lot more wood work than I anticipated
I had to completely open the mag well and trigger inlet,
infact, on top, I had to cut into the rear receiver bolt hole
and inlet it down 1/2". Used a Dremmel with a carbide cutting bit and sanding barrels. These old heartwood Arctic Birch stocks are tough.
not for the faint of heart in a collectors grade Mosin stock
it's getting dark here tonight, so I'll send photos tomorrow

if anyone wants me to open her back up and take photos of the stock inletting, I'm willing to do it, but she's bedded, shimmed and torque down tonight. Breaks clean at 3 lbs when assembled and torqued. Test fired, pounded on the ground and the trigger is good without the Timney safety lever. Remember, I only cut the safety lever off, the mechanism is still installed and the stock Mosin safety is still on the bolt.

Since I had to cut into the bolt channel, I'm ordering in a special set of pillars specifically inlet for the Timney trigger, As long as I've gone this far, I might as well pillar this baby.
I did achieve my goal, from the outside, it looks like a Mosin PEM sniper - you have no idea there a precision Timney trigger nestled inside. Not until you tickle the trigger - as crisp as my Rem 700 VS.

will fire for accuracy tomorrow here on the Farm
then take it up to the local range to impress the young kids

"This ole thing, just an ole '31 Mosin, but check out the trigger!!"

even this old guy like "braggin rights"

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 am

Very nice work . Clean , simple , and straight forward . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I concur with Maurader1 about trying the trigger shoe . I have them on two of mine , and have a new one sitting in my parts bin , waiting to be put on my new "F" Class build . They do enhance feel of the trigger pull and it's probably the cheapest way to improve accuracy in any rifle .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum