It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:39 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

M28-76 Project - The Finnstigator

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

M28-76 Project - The Finnstigator

Postby DevilDog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Well I am starting to gain some headway on getting this M28-76 operational. For those that did not see my other thread, I picked up this bare bones surplus M28-76 barreled action. I chose it because it was a late production (1970's) unfired Finn barrel. The grooves on this thing are like mirrors.

It was missing all of the diopter sight pieces, and I really wanted to try out the iron sight shooting on them.

Obtaining a complete diopter from one party proved near to impossibe, but I had a start with the seller of the action, he had a Rear Diopter body with no eyepiece.

I had seen an eyepiece for sale by another seller (with a .9mm Long Range peep), so I snatched both up only to find this:
IMG_3548.JPG

Apparently, there are 2 sizes for the Finn diopters, and these did not match. The male portion on the eyepiece was much too big for the body.

I roughed out a design for an adapter and had it machined out:
IMG_3580.JPG

That completed the rear, but the front globe was not to be found. I did come across a Lyman globe of nearly the same dimensions, but with a dovetail mount.
IMG_3552.JPG

As anyone with a later model Finn nows, the front sight has a tab with a hole to mate up to adjustment screws. I decided to grind off the dovetail mount and make a tabbed mount and secure the two together.
I chose to drill and tap for set screws which you see ground off slightly here:
IMG_3565.JPG

The tab lines up with the adj. screw holes, and works beautifully, as well as being very secure. This arrangement could be used to upgrade ANY Finn with this front sight globe, but the height would be off, and you would have to raise the rear leaf to say 1000 yds for a dead level shot.
IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

Once the reamer arrives, and I do some inletting on the walnut barracuda stock (resurrected from the now dismantled MoSinista),
The Finnstigator will be ready to go stir up some trouble!
IMG_3576.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: M28-76 Project - The Finnstigator

Postby USSR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:52 pm

You never cease to amaze me. The guys on here are all so darn talented!
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 pm

I like what you've done for a front sight, pretty cool. Keep up the great work, but most of all I like the pictures. There worth more than can ever be written.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby DevilDog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:19 am

Well, I had found a page of spec's at 7.62x54r.net showing it at .3095, and I measured it at that, and so did my gunsmith. I cannot find the page anymore, but here is the story on M28/76 production, which at the end seems to conflict with my .3095 measurement:

"Information on the M28/76 (in fact on all of the Finnish marksmanship rifles) has been scarce outside of Finland and it was not until recently that it was known by those of us in the West that the M28/76's used a number of barrel types. It was thought that M28/30 barrel were the only barrels used but it is now known that is not the case. There are standard M28/30 barrels that can have dates from 1934-1940 but there are also rifles that have the so called "late date" M28/30 barrels - these bearing 1968 or 1969 dates or no date at all. M39 barrels were also used on M28/76's and it seems that all of the M39 barrel are also later dates - from 1968 to 1970. The last main barrel type is a specially made barrel for these rifles bearing the date of 1977 or no date. There are like barrels that can be found on the M28/66 rifles. These specifically made barrels are of the same spefications of M28/30 barrels." - http://www.estonianarms.com/2876.htm

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

ADDITION:
A bore slugging revealed this was actually an M28-30 spec barrel at .3082.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby DevilDog » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:43 pm

TA FREAKIN DA, IT SHOOTS! Well, that is my way of saying I got her back from the ream job :? , and did the inletting on MoSinista's old stock to get around the diopter and downward bolt handle.

It also needed major reprofiling of the cheek weld area to bring my eye down to the lower sight height. After measuring from the bore center to the front diopter (1.2ish inches), I set the rear to the same height and headed off to the range:
Finnstigator1.jpg

Diopter Rear.jpg

It was so windy that my targets blew off the board, and had to be secured with about 10 staples. I loaded up some Winchester target ammo and sighted in with the 2.8mm front circle, time for the big moment!:
50ydFinn.jpg

(50yds)
Looks like the math worked, BAM I had shots on paper.

I decided to change to the front post and moved the board to 100yds for a non circular target (this emulates more of a Peep sight set-up):
100ydFinnPost.jpg

(100yds)
The first shot was low, so I made an adjustment and shot the next 4.

I was pretty jazzed with my results, so I jumped right to the 300yd line to see what I could there without a scope for a change. I used the smallest front circle, .126 in I think. I shot at the 200yd standard target, the 14 inch black circle was a small dot in the front sight.
Now, I was still shooting in a gale, and it took some adjusting up and down to get the diopter ranges, which appear to be .5 MOA per click:
300ydFinn.jpg

(300yds)
The low shots were first, then the high ones, then I shot 5 with my final adjustment.

The diopter effect was so amazing I just have to do a different thread on it.

It still needs refining in the stock fit and finish, and some load development, but shooting a Mosin with iron sights that are as precise as this dipoter is, well, it's just amazing!
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby USSR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:06 pm

I want one! I'm so freaking jealous! That diopter looks so cool! Now I want another Mosin to mount one to!

You truly are a talented fellow!
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:36 pm

WOW :shock:
This is not ordinary... This is piece of armory art!
Absolutely beautiful... Thank you for input in MOSIN culture! :!:
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 325 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:20 am

:D :D The Finnstigator is FANTASTIC. It shoots as good as it looks. Great build. You need another award for this one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 am

Nice job there DevilDog, Man that is awesome. I think Jerry's right I think I need award some medals here soon. Were there any other differences between how that shoots and say a typical Mosin?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 364 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:00 am

I'll start with the similarities, it kicks as much or more than just about any other Mosin I own. It is pretty light.

Even in my custom stock, the balance is very nice. My stock is balanced right around the pistol grip. The assembled rifle balances right around the front of the magazine, perfect for off-hand shooting.

Shooting the diopter is a bit surreal. The natural centering by the eye of the concentric circles means there is little guessing about good sight picture, you KNOW when your 'ON'. This has ALWAYS been my problem shooting iron sights with the Mosin. The typical front post is too short, too wide, and not adjustable. I always have trouble forcing my eye to focus on the front post, not the rear leaf.

However, the diopter disk consumes your field of view, so that the only thing your eye can focus on is the front globe. It always comes up focused to my eye.

Diopters are definitely made for target shooting. Not much field of view for game situations. You need a circular, high contrast target.
That's when they shine. Besides the natural centering effect of the circles, there is a 'Fish-eye' sort of magnification that goes on when your eye is forced into that small tunnel. Images on the outer edge of the circle appear to distort outward.

But the AMAZING thing was at 300yds. The tiny dot of a target, which I could barely see as a fuzzy circle to the naked eye, turned into a CRISPLY FOCUSED DOT in my front diopter globe when perfectly centered.

I guess this is why the Olympic/Biathalon shooters all use the diopter, and why I wanted to try it out!

I guess that means I get a Second Finnish variant owner medal, ya? (But we need to move my StraightJacket medal over to your column :lol: )
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum