TA FREAKIN DA, IT SHOOTS! Well, that is my way of saying I got her back from the ream job
, and did the inletting on MoSinista's old stock to get around the diopter and downward bolt handle.
It also needed major reprofiling of the cheek weld area to bring my eye down to the lower sight height. After measuring from the bore center to the front diopter (1.2ish inches), I set the rear to the same height and headed off to the range:
It was so windy that my targets blew off the board, and had to be secured with about 10 staples. I loaded up some Winchester target ammo and sighted in with the 2.8mm front circle, time for the big moment!:
Looks like the math worked, BAM I had shots on paper.
I decided to change to the front post and moved the board to 100yds for a non circular target (this emulates more of a Peep sight set-up):
The first shot was low, so I made an adjustment and shot the next 4.
I was pretty jazzed with my results, so I jumped right to the 300yd line to see what I could there without a scope for a change. I used the smallest front circle, .126 in I think. I shot at the 200yd standard target, the 14 inch black circle was a small dot in the front sight.
Now, I was still shooting in a gale, and it took some adjusting up and down to get the diopter ranges, which appear to be .5 MOA per click:
The low shots were first, then the high ones, then I shot 5 with my final adjustment.
The diopter effect was so amazing I just have to do a different thread on it.
It still needs refining in the stock fit and finish, and some load development, but shooting a Mosin with iron sights that are as precise as this dipoter is, well, it's just amazing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.