It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:11 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

finnish 1942 M39 sako

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: finnish 1942 M39 sako

Postby DevilDog » Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Do you think removing the barrel and case hardening the receiver would help?

Has anyone tried to case harden these, or is the steel not apt for that?
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Shepard » Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 am

DevilDog wrote:Do you think removing the barrel and case hardening the receiver would help?

Has anyone tried to case harden these, or is the steel not apt for that?

If you have a heat treat facility near by I would seek there help. When you heat steel -- depending on how hot you heat it -- burns the carbon out of the steel softening it. Not knowing how hot the receiver got --- I would seek professional help to try to save it. Case hardening is as it says. It is only a hard skin over softer metal. I wouldn't trust that to hold the receiver together as it's only say maybe .015 thick. On a gun case hardening helps to prevent cosmetic damage like nicks and scratches. It needs deep heat treating under a gas cover like carbon dioxide to up the carbon content.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

I center punched my marks and wrapped a soaking wet towel around each side of the mark and spot heated til began to be orangish not red, then drilled and tapped. Just a spot about the size of a bic pen
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Understand that heat spreads and while you had towels around the outside of the receiver in order for that area to get as hot as it did means the entire area had to get that hot.

I've been wanting to do a case hardened Mosin Receiver but I can't find anyone who wants to do it. Most of them are concerned about warping the receiver. Couldn't you use a Rockwell C test? That could show the difference between the heated area and non heated via the depth of the indentation?

Man I don't know, I wouldn't fire it until I had it looked at by someone who is an expert and let them figure it out. Remember this is by your face, if it fails it will be ugly. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the safe thing to do and we want you to stay in one piece.

Heck if the barrels good you could always change the receiver.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, talked to my local smith and done some reading on the net... Seems everything is going to be ok with the receiver... Smith said a lot of mausers have to be heated to be drilled and tapped... I am pretty sure rsi website shows that k31 receivers have to be done in this fashion... Will take you guys advice and shot with a string for a few shots before I shoulder it...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Postby biggorillagunworks » Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Grimstod wrote:Hmm strange. Well it is a Finn receiver. They must use good steel.

The Finns never made a receiver- every Finn Mosin-Nagant has a Russian or Soviet origin receiver. They re-worked them, but never manufactured them.

I, too, would never put a torch to the receiver there. Too much risk of destroying the temper. Never had an issue with Mosins, but I'l tell ya that the Swiss K-31...THAT has some serious case hardening.

Ditto what Shepard said on the taps...SLOW...with a lot of oil. Visually check the tap to see if any cutting flutes have chipped off. If it gets dull and more difficult to cut, break out a new one. Snapping off a tap for a #6 flush is a real pain in the azz. Forget about the "Hansons" from Home Depot...hell, I even got crap ones from Brownell's- of all places! I prefer to start with a taper tap (instead of a plug), and finish with the bottoming tap on blind holes.

Try here:
http://www.mscdirect.com/

Greenfield is top-notch.
biggorillagunworks
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Well I got my rsi scope mount installed today and I have gotten my tracking number for my bluegrass stock...hope to have it shootable soon... Interesting tidbit, the same bits that wouldn't drill for the two front screws without annealing, drilled the rear screw with no problem or annealing... Even tapped easy...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Postby farmerboy78 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 am

well here she is, near complete... im going to have it refinished and threaded for my suppressor in the near future... she started as a 1942 sako, installed RSI hex scope mount and bolt body, installed a timney set at 2lbs, removed rear sight and cut and recrown the barrel at 19 7/8", installed my bluegrass full tactical package stock, and have a swfa ss 10x42 sitting on top... hope to have some loads worked up soon!!! :mrgreen:

Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 am

I like the scope because of the small diameter. Easier to fit in a case and the FOV seems smaller. I have the SWFA 16x42 SS model and I love it. More of a straight line than my 50 mm scopes. Nice looking build. Are you planning on re-barreling the rifle?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 0933 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 am

Very cool! 8-)

I hope you don't have any problems with the front receiver ring, and I'm definitely looking forward to a range report!!

You'll be very pleased with that SWFA SS. I run a few on my rifles, and the range of adjustment is nice, but I've NEVER had a problem with them tracking or returning to zero.

Nice build farmerboy!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum