It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

My 1st gun mod

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: My 1st gun mod

Postby farmerboy78 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Interesting video
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:26 am

Grimstod wrote:Its not you. fungi is this the barrel you will cut down. Removing the worn out muzzle will get you better results when you cut it.

Yes this is the barrel I was looking at cutting down. I was asked with it being a Finnish M39 why I was cutting it down since they tend to be worth more than a MN. But, was rethinking it at first until I saw the results of the scope and how the end of the barrel is worse than the beginning or middle. Still not sure. I think it will be dependent on if I can find a good MN.

any thoughts from the crowd?

If I was to drive on and cut this barrel down what would be a good length to cut it to? Gamecock24 mention 22" for MN but wasn't sure if it was the same for the M39. Is it one of those that it's the perference of the Modder?
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am

Ask your self this. What am I using this rifle for? Hunting rifles go good at 20 - 22 inches for 4-500 yd shots. If your building a target rifle then 24 - 26 inches would be the best with 26 inches about optimal. The purpose kind of determines the length of the barrel. My target rifle has a 26 inch barrel -- I would hunt with my T-53.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 am

Shepard wrote:Ask your self this. What am I using this rifle for? Hunting rifles go good at 20 - 22 inches for 4-500 yd shots. If your building a target rifle then 24 - 26 inches would be the best with 26 inches about optimal. The purpose kind of determines the length of the barrel. My target rifle has a 26 inch barrel -- I would hunt with my T-53.

I would like and try to get as much distances out of it as I can. I would like to reach out to between 800-100 yds. It will most likely be used for hunting also until I get another rifle for that.
Course the big issue isn't having a rifle that can reach out there but a range to shoot out that far.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Fung_13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

So unless I see one that catches my attention or have recommendation from you all I think I have narrowed down my search for a scope one of these two

Vortex PST

Nikon M-308 scope

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Postby farmerboy78 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm

I have a modded m39 with a 20" barrel and it still shoots sub-moa...it's very well balanced. ..
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 93 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Fung_13 wrote:So unless I see one that catches my attention or have recommendation from you all I think I have narrowed down my search for a scope one of these two

Vortex PST

Nikon M-308 scope

Very similar to the PST -$300
Vortex HS-T 6-24 x 50mm
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Fung_13 wrote:I would like and try to get as much distances out of it as I can. I would like to reach out to between 800-100 yds. It will most likely be used for hunting also until I get another rifle for that.
Course the big issue isn't having a rifle that can reach out there but a range to shoot out that far.

If you want to reach 800-1000 yards then you would at least need a 26in barrel. From what I see in your bore scope you will need to cut off at least 2 maybe even 3 inches to get back to good rifling. I think M39 is a 27in barrel to start so you down to about 25-24in. I wold try to get a mosin with a shiny and bright boar. You could cut it to the 26in you really need for that range.

I have a Mosin I cut to 22in. With hand loads best range I can get is 850 and that is with a very hot load. My 26in barreled Mosin, Smyert Mk3, can reach 1000 easy because of the longer barrel thus more velocity. When it comes to long range you need a very fast projectile to shoot through the wind and keep the bullet from slowing down so much it brakes back into the sound barrier (go subsonic) and destabilizes (gets really inaccurate).

Plus a gun with a ruined barrel just isn't worth working and investing mony on. You won't get as much back for it when(if) you ever want to sell it. If you start with a good barrel you are much better off.

M39 will sell for a lot more then a 91/30 just cause its a M39. Cut it down and its not worth anything and if you can't get it to shoot then you have gambled and lost. On this forum we do not ever discourage modifying mosins. I just think you will be better off getting a 91/30 from someone like J&G sales with a hand picked shiny boar for 150$ and that the same as what you paid for the M39. Just seams like a safer bet to me.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 285 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby PRegner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 am

Regarding cutting down an M39 barrel:

On my last/current project I started with an M39 (26 inch barrel). The specimen I began with had a counter-bored muzzle, and I wanted to remove the iron sights so cutting the barrel to 24 inches was a no-brainer for me. I also put an 11 degree target crown on the muzzle. In the case of my particular project, accuracy was improved. The rifle currently produces 1.5 MOA groups with mid-eighties Soviet surplus ammunition.

Granted, I haven't shot the rifle beyond 400 yards yet, so I haven't determined what, if any impact shortening the barrel by two inches will have on shots beyond that range. I've found ballistic charts on 7.62x54r.net that were compiled as part of an ammunition evaluation, that indicate that when fired from a 24 inch barrel (M44) the surplus ammo I'm using tends to drop 60 inches by the time it reaches 475 yards, and loses nearly 1200 feet per second in velocity as well.

Here's a link to the page I referenced above.

Ballistic Data

The data presented does seem to indicate that there is a greater drop in range when shooting with a shorter barrel, but if you compare the numbers with the Finn M91 they used, it can be seen that while the M91 maintains higher velocity and muzzle energy at longer range, the drop in velocity and muzzle energy from what is measured at the muzzle is more significant than rounds fired from a shorter barrel.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
PRegner
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos  Received: 15 times

Postby Fung_13 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:46 am

Update to my build. Here is the rifle I will use for my mod. Just picked it up 20 minutes ago. Other than a little dirty from sitting, she is a beauty. I will post more pix when I get it home and cleaned. :thumbup: :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum