It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

The Scout

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: The Scout

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:22 am

I would slug your bore. The scout rifle I just finished shot terrible in mho... slugged the bore and it was .312"... I ordered some Hornady .312 RN bullets and now it shoots very well considering it's a scout rifle with a 4x scope... give it a try, may improve its performance!
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 92 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Saberists2000 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 am

This one is also a .312". The PPU was factory 182gr FMJBT, the SMKs were pushed by 54.5gr of H4350.

I forgot to mention that the scope mount hung on pretty well, I didn't notice any movement or loosening, but I may have rattled something loose in the scope. The groups stayed put and stayed tight, so I'm going to leave it alone at least until I shoot it again.
Random avatar
Saberists2000
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 16 times
Kudos  Received: 16 times

Postby Saberists2000 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:10 pm

It works!

The Hornady 150gr JSPs also shot well. They held a group just under 2 MOA when I zeroed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
Saberists2000
Marksman
Marksman

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:29 am

Hey, that's a GREAT buck. Awesome job man. :thumbup: :clap: what bullet did you end up using on the buck?
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:26 am

Rifle looks awesome! You did a great job! Nice buck!!
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby CCA762 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:50 am

Very nice Buck! Awesome job on the build.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 32 times
Kudos  Received: 20 times

Postby Grindl » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Excellent on two counts . First ; the build of a very useable and accurate field / hunting gun . And second ; a very nice buck . What approx. range was the shot , and did the round do much damage to the Buck coming out ? Been a little nervous about using a M-N on Deer for fear of tearing them up .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Nice project but man that stock was so beautiful. I would have given you one not to
Cut that one up.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 34 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Even11 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 pm

I think it's a great project you have there! I think the original wood looks grea t and the added wood work make it that much nicer!

How do you like the Hi-Lux scope? I have been looking around and I think it's one of the few affordable mid range scout scopes out there. Probably going to be getting one for a Savage scout that I have in January or so.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 72 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Saberists2000 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the long wait on the reply. Apparently the website stopped notifying me that you had been commenting.

Matthews - I shot this deer and a button buck the year before with Hornady interlock 150gr spire points (product #3120) over 49.5gr of Varget. It was about a 40 yard shot through medium cover, broadside to slightly quartering towards me. I don't think it broke any brush before it got to the deer. It was a touch high, so I missed the heart, but it was a double lung shot. He dropped in his tracks. Complete penetration with an exit hole of a little smaller than a Kennedy half dollar.

For the record, I think the 174gr round nose interlocks (#3130) shoot better out of my nagants, but I couldn't find any when I was putting together my hunting ammo.

Grindl - I think the M-N makes a great deer rifle if you have one that shoots straight. As for tearing them up, I haven't noticed anything unusual, but everyone else in my family shoots 30-06 so I suppose it is relative.

Even - I have been happy with the Leatherwood Hi-Lux scopes. If you are looking for something that fits in with the general price range of an inexpensive project I don't have any problems recommending them. I have 3 and have not had any issues so far. One of my buddies had one on a scout that I built for him that he rattled the internals loose on. They did honor the warranty, though it took a few months to get the new one back. I also have a Leupold FX-II scout on another rifle. If you can afford one, it has notably better brightness and field of view. I haven't had a chance to use a Redfield scout yet, but they also make one.

Deathscythe - If it wasn't pretty enough to stand out, I wouldn't have modified it to keep on this rifle. But yes, every time I touch one of these things with a cutting tool I can hear the collectors screaming at me in my head.
Random avatar
Saberists2000
Marksman
Marksman

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum