It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:25 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

BSA MoNa build

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

BSA MoNa build

Postby Randalloc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Well I have been at this build for a while and thought I would share with with you guys over at SOCAMO.COM Goal was to build a high end nice .311 bench rifle with a Shilen Heavy Varmint barrel. As with most projects they sorta morph as it goes along and I swapped out the stock idea once I got the barreled action back from Joe Burns out of WA (Anacortes prototypes) He did a great job blueprinting her and setting up the Brakesandmore brake. She has a Timney trigger on a highwall round receiver, Trueshot Scope mount with a Millet LRS-1 scope, Custom bent bolt by Terry Thornsberry and the knob by The Polished Knob they all did great taking my ideas and making them reality. The stock was an old BSA CF2 target stock that I found once and decided I had to build a MoNa around it sometime and did some major mods to make it all work, full blown new inletting and epoxy to get the action screws to work with the trigger guard. I reworked the cocking piece some, put on a Versa pod for a optional bipod I had. Found a very nice flexible buttstock that I recommend. Lastly I thought I could use a removable cheek piece and it hit me at 3am the idea and it works awsome.. comes off with a breeze and is very solid when on.

So far shooting wise it has lived up to my hopes.. 3rd time out I have shot the best 5 grouping at 5/8" at 100 yards with PPU SP BT 150g. So in time with figuring out the best factory ammo and more practice maybe I can get a wee bit better. Down the road hand-loading for it is the goal.

Hope you enjoy it and she's on the MaD HaTtEr MoDdErS FB group and my ROCSTER project groups if you want more in depth photos etc. info. Be glad to share if you have questions. Thanks for many of the insights I have got from some of you guys on socamo and the FB groups.. you know who you are.. hope to see ya on the range sometime!
Randall

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 813&type=3

----pictures to follow...
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: BSA MoNa build

Postby Randalloc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Final product..
At Range BSA MoNa2.jpg
at the range
At Range BSA MoNa1.jpg

under the lights.. lol..
Overall BSA MoNa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:14 pm

pieces and parts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Best shooting so far... 1 test firing barrel breakin...and 2 shooting sessions so far.. first real shoot I got best 7/8" in grouping.. the last I got a best 5/8" grouping with PPU SPBT 150g at 100 yards...
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:21 pm

All the build photos at ROCSTER Project on FB https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 813&type=3
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:30 pm

Wow!! Beautiful build!!
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Wow this is awesome. How did you do the mag like that. I really like it. I'm planing on doing a barrel like that but 308. What was the cost you paid for the barrel total?
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 pm

No mag, its set up as a single shooter bench rifle. In the future I might try to make an internal mag and or use the bottom metal with the floorplate for an option with some additional dremeling out of the stock to make it happen. Shilen barrel prices on their website and smithing costs depends on what you get done to it.
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:47 pm

I looked their info up a few weeks ago. Did you do a blank or did they finish it?
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 am

it was a shilen varmint contour but my smith did the threads and the chambering, it was not a prefit.
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum