It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Durasight Deadon one piece scope mount on Round Receiver

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Durasight Deadon one piece scope mount on Round Receiver

Postby redleg37 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 am

So, sometimes I do things without thinking them through. I had seen the durasight deadon sight online and thought it might work pretty well on a round receiver Mosin with a bit of work. I was in a local store and they had one, so I bought it on impulse.

This is a one piece scope mount with a rounded bottom base and 2 rings permanently mounted to the base. All the screws for this mount are Torx screws and the sight includes an allen wrench with Torx ends.

The sight is made of "T2 alloy" which upon a lot of internet digging I discovered is zinc. The base has 4 screw holes in it, three of which will fit into the receiver portion of a round receiver Mosin.

I, knowing about nothing about silver soldering, looked up online and apparently you can silver solder zinc. So....

I bought the mount. Last night I put some sand paper around the receiver rough side up and sanded the mount forward and back to help match the radius of the mount to the radius of the receiver.

I spent a lot of time with a level making sure to have the mount aligned with the receiver, marked the holes with a punch, and drilled the holes out with a cobalt bit.

My plan is to attach the base to the receiver using the screws to keep alignment, and silver solder it into position; however, I have never silver soldered before and need some advice on how to do this.

I looked up a bunch of youtube videos to try to figure this out, but I couldn't get it to work. Turns out that a propane torch isn't really hot enough and I need MAP gas. Any tricks or hints for this? Thanks.

Here is a link to the scope mount's website so you can see what it looks like: http://www.durasight.com/Store-View.php?id=630
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Durasight Deadon one piece scope mount on Round Receiver

Postby jaysny87 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:47 am

I'm sure you watched this video too then
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAB17E ... BHOay8TAiI

some guys bed their scope mounts to the receiver like you would a barreled action to the stock using bidding compound do or jb weld. Something good to consider if the soldering doesn't work. I've silver soldered a lot in the past but never on a receiver. I'd be worried about changing the temper of the steel right at the most critical area where the chamber meets the receiver from using too much heat.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 am

Yes you will need the MAP gas. Put flux on the bottom of the mount before screwing it together. You're going to have to get it pretty hot. And it will most likely take a ton of solder. The solder will draw towards the heat so heat it evenly all over until you see the solder start melting to it. Now, you don't want the solder "in" the flame. You heat the surfaces with the solder touching the crack and as the metal gets to the right temp the solder will melt. Once you see it start to melt switch the flame to the other side and it will help "draw" the solder into the space. I can't see your gap but I'm guessing it will take a couple feet of solder before you see an even silver line all the way around. Keep in mind, once you do this it will be extremely hard to remove because it's going to flow around the screws and everything. I would suggest to bed the mount with JB weld instead. If done right it would still be removable.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby redleg37 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:00 pm

I have JB Weld as well, and I could do it that way without too much fuss.

There isn't a gap between the sight mount and the receiver. It was fairly easy to shape the bottom of the sight mount to the radius of the receiver. There is a slight gap between the chamber and the bottom of the sight mount, but its very small. This is because the outer metal of the chamber slopes down from the receiver slightly.
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Postby jaysny87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 am

A picture says a thousand words. If you can post one. But as long as the two screws hold the mount solid I don't know that I would worry too much about the soldering. It would offer that extra amount of assurance but you don't want to compromise the integrity of the receivers steel by over heating it especially so close to the chamber. Just my opinion. 8-)
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby redleg37 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:00 am

http://imgur.com/Q2jtid2

I epoxied the sight base on over the weekend. My bent bolt should arrive sometime this week. I'm planning on having the muzzle crowned and threaded for a muzzle brake, and I will probably use Oxpho Blue to finish it. I don't know how long it will take me to finish this project though. I need to get another scope as well as my old scout scope will no longer work for this. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 on my AR and am very happy with it, so I wouldn't mind trying to find a Buckmaster 4-12 for this rifle.
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 am

cool deal. it looks like your going to still need a scope that offers generous eye releif. maybe not a full on scout scope but still on with more than average.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby redleg37 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:16 pm

I put my Nikon Buck Master 3-9 on it for now. This will do until I get something else to put on it. As far as eye relief, I was able to mount the scope in place with enough eye relief and I think the buck master is a standard eye relief scope.

The mount seems to be holding fine, and I think it will work well as long as the epoxy holds. I haven't shot it yet as I am still waiting for my bolt handle to arrive.
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Shepard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm new in the conversation -- if your bedding your sights or scope mount with solder -- you need only use simple lead solder 3-400 degrees. Your already using mounting screws -- the solder makes unable to shift. Its what the Finns use to bed to mounts on there sniper rifles, M28/76, TKIV85. True gunsmith silver solder melts at a very high temperature and needs to be used by a professional least you over heat the parent metal removing the temper.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby redleg37 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:48 am

The epoxy held for about two days and then the mount came off.

So....

I tried a two part metal epoxy by Loctite called Weld. So far its holding. I've put my 2-7 LER scope on it and put my Buck Master back on my AR. I found out that I am going Coyote hunting for Christmas, so I wanted to get the AR ready for that; though if the scope mount works okay I may use the Mosin as well.

Here's a link to the Imgur picture of both rifles together: http://imgur.com/8J7MoZE?mobile=1

I'm thinking about repainting the AR again.

My bolt handle still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to get frustrated that its taking so long. I didn't realize it would take this long to get one sent to me.

I've worked on getting machine marks out of all the bolt mating surfaces a lot in the last couple of weeks, using sand paper, lapping compound, and buffing compound; applied via hand and dremel. As far as I can tell without the handle, it slides very smoothly. I'll finish it once the handle arrives.

I smoothed out the bluing with some 0000 steel wool and reapplied more oxpho blu a few times. To me it looks like a 76 year old rifle with decent bluing. It doesn't look brand new but it looks a lot better than it did before.

As far as eye relief with this mount; the LER scope kind of works on its lower settings but the FOV is really small. If you are not directly behind the scope it gets blurry really quick. The Buck Master works really well on it from this distance. I think this mount will work for most regular eye relief scopes.

As far as the mount itself; I'd say its a high quality mount at a good price; but it takes some work to get it to fit. I bedded the mount with two part epoxy mostly because this was my first attempt at drilling and tapping and... lets just say it wasn't entirely successful.

If you are going to drill and tap holes into your receiver anyway, This mount; while taking more work than mounts designed for a mosin nagant; will work well. It's a very well made mount, it feels heavy and solid; the screws are torx screws the wrench is included. It was $30 from a local store and I think it is a decent mount for a round receiver mosin; as long as you can do the work needed to make it fit.
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum