It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

A pair of Mosin custom builds.

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: A pair of Mosin custom builds.

Postby CCA762 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 am

holescreek wrote:What make of lathe are you using? I'm on the fence about buying a new lathe and looking for input. Maybe it would be best to start a different thread on it though to keep from cluttering this one up.

My lathe is a Grizzly 0709 single phase. It does the job well, I've had a few issues to work out with it but for the most part it is a good lathe. If I had it to do over again I would go with the next size up in the 3 phase model and run it on a phase converter if I didn't have access to 3 phase power.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 36 times
Kudos  Received: 21 times

Postby holescreek » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm

I've been on the fence on buying a G0709 for a couple of weeks. The only negative things I've picked up on were the crossfeed handwheel graduations being .002" and the compound angle scale graduations not going all away around. I have the cash in hand and almost ordered it but find I keep searching for old iron instead.

All my other machines are 3 phase.
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 22 times

Postby CCA762 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 pm

holescreek wrote:I've been on the fence on buying a G0709 for a couple of weeks. The only negative things I've picked up on were the crossfeed handwheel graduations being .002" and the compound angle scale graduations not going all away around. I have the cash in hand and almost ordered it but find I keep searching for old iron instead.

All my other machines are 3 phase.

If you go with Grizzly go with the 3 phase gunsmith lathe. The issues you brought up are aggravating but I've learned how to deal with them. I've bought DRO's for both axis and got one coming for the tailstock. I use 123 blocks and angle gauge to set up the compound feed. I like to run barrels through the headstock and I'm not aware of any other lathes that offer that set-up with the ability to handle short barrel lengths. I kept looking for a good used lathe as well and got tired of looking and finding machines that were going to cost more than the new Grizzly. Would love to find a quality American made machine. I got lucky on my mill and found a Bridgeport in excellent shape for $3500.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby CCA762 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:13 pm

holescreek wrote:What make of lathe are you using? I'm on the fence about buying a new lathe and looking for input. Maybe it would be best to start a different thread on it though to keep from cluttering this one up.

Holescreek,
There is another thread where everybody here is discussing machinery and tooling. Scroll down to the bottom of the main board index there's a topic on tools and equipment. I wasn't aware of it either. Take care.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby holescreek » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:18 pm

CCA762 wrote:

Holescreek,
There is another thread where everybody here is discussing machinery and tooling. Scroll down to the bottom of the main board index there's a topic on tools and equipment. I wasn't aware of it either. Take care.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 22 times

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum