It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

A pair of Mosin custom builds.

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: A pair of Mosin custom builds.

Postby jaysny87 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 am

If you don't already hand load for 54R I highly recommend it. I wouldn't count on factory or surplus ammo to show the true potential of the hard work your putting into these babies. Even the domestic winchester and S&B is sub par.
Keep up the good work friend!
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby holescreek » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:49 am

CCA762 wrote:
Grindl wrote:It does warm a old tool-makers heart to see precision hand work being done the "Old-school" way . Most excellent ...and finishes look good on the surfaces and threads , too . Should make for a very strong and accurate shooter . Nice job.

Thank you sir. I'm use to doing this on rem.700 and savage actions. I was asked to see if it was possible to apply this type of accurizing to the Mosin. So far all is going well. I'm just as excited to see the results as everyone else.

It's absolutely possible to get them to sub MOA with hand loads and a good barrel. The coup de gras is a solid scope mount held securely on both ends. I started out a few years ago investigating causes of barrel whip in semi-auto PSL's and in the course of many high speed recordings saw the scopes moving around like a blade of grass in the wind. You can see the results of that testing on Youtube under "holescreek".
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 23 times

Postby Shepard » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Did you use a 1 inch 16 TPI tap to open the threading on the receiver?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby CCA762 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Shepard wrote:Did you use a 1 inch 16 TPI tap to open the threading on the receiver?

Yes sir it's 1-16 tpi but it's oversized by .010 so that the threads actually get fully recut and not just chased.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 21 times

Postby CCA762 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:13 pm

jaysny87 wrote:If you don't already hand load for 54R I highly recommend it. I wouldn't count on factory or surplus ammo to show the true potential of the hard work your putting into these babies. Even the domestic winchester and S&B is sub par.
Keep up the good work friend!

Jaysny87, I have yet to delve into the reloading world just yet but due to getting into the M-N custom world I'm going to have to change all that. I'm usually so busy with smithing I don't have a chance to get into the reloading end of the business. I usually rely on friends to help me out on the reloading. The rifles I'm building have a .308 bore so the ammo will have to be custom. I have a big interest in the 6.5x54r and would love to learn how to neck down the cartridges and reload them. I think it would be awesome if I could build a rifle in the 6.5x54r and get it into a PRS competition just to see how folks would react to a Mosin giving the high end customs a run for their money. Would greatly appreciate any advice, guidance, and or direction.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby CCA762 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:22 pm

holescreek wrote:
CCA762 wrote:
Grindl wrote:It does warm a old tool-makers heart to see precision hand work being done the "Old-school" way . Most excellent ...and finishes look good on the surfaces and threads , too . Should make for a very strong and accurate shooter . Nice job.

Thank you sir. I'm use to doing this on rem.700 and savage actions. I was asked to see if it was possible to apply this type of accurizing to the Mosin. So far all is going well. I'm just as excited to see the results as everyone else.

It's absolutely possible to get them to sub MOA with hand loads and a good barrel. The coup de gras is a solid scope mount held securely on both ends. I started out a few years ago investigating causes of barrel whip in semi-auto PSL's and in the course of many high speed recordings saw the scopes moving around like a blade of grass in the wind. You can see the results of that testing on Youtube under "holescreek".

Thanks Holescreek, I will definitely check out the videos. I'm always interested in learning more on the riflesmithing trade. Have you checked out "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by Harold Vaughn? If not try and find a copy his studies on barrel harmonics and the effects of scope mounts and receiver geometry is some very interesting reading. Also check out some of Bryan Litz and Gordy Gritters books and dvd's as well. Thanks for the info.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby CCA762 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Update! The round receiver barrel thread tenon is complete and all that is left is to run the chamber and then on to the hex receiver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby CCA762 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Forgot one, figured yáll might want to see how I indicated the barrel in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby holescreek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:18 pm

What make of lathe are you using? I'm on the fence about buying a new lathe and looking for input. Maybe it would be best to start a different thread on it though to keep from cluttering this one up.
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 23 times

Postby Bob the nailer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:22 am

Very good thread, progress looks great! I received my Bluegrass stock within two months, thinking about ordering a mahogany Tactical one for another build.

What optics are you thinking of?
Bob the nailer
One ragged hole!
The Quest for accuracy continues

www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 14 times

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum