It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

"Butter Bolt"

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

"Butter Bolt"

Postby Shepard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:21 am

As all of us know that the Mosin bolt can be difficult to open till the cocking ramps get polished along with all the bolt pieces.

[b]This will not work for shooting surplus.[b]

Military primers a harder then civilian primers. I use CCI and Federal primers.

I have replace the firing pin spring in my 500 S&W Mosin with the spring out of a cheap bipod. Same length but smaller in diameter wire. It makes opening like a hot knife through butter. I have not had any misfires or blown out primers. The next part of my experiment is to shorten the bolt handle making for less motion.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: "Butter Bolt"

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Well as a spring developer I can tell you that this does work but with some tradeoffs. First off is lock time, the Mosin bolt is a large piece of metal to move. While a lighter spring will make it cycle easier due to the lessened pressure on the lugs it does not however accelerate the firing pin and bolt assembly as fast as a heavier spring will, this can cause light strikes in some cases. I've experimented with tons of various mixtures and of winds wire etc. You are correct that the lighter spring will work with reloading primers but won't on surplus. One thing to watch out for with a lighter spring is the fact that you can re-cock the rifle by pulling back the cocking knob. Also if you do happen to have a primer blowout it may cause the firing pin to be blown back. But your correct it does make your rifle a much friendlier beast to cycle. Shep if you'd like one of my springs to play I could get you one. It's not as light as yours but it's still kind of cool.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm

I saw a video on YouTube of how to help your Mosin cycle easier. Included polishing of some of the surfaces and cutting 1.5 coils off the spring. I did what he said and my bolt cycles very smoothly and still has enough umf to fire everything I've put in it. Including several surplus types.

I will add that I said a little prayer before cutting it. Hoping it would still go bang. But I've had no trouble with it. With the striker down on a spent round I can still shuffle it with my pinky with no pain or trouble.

Jared

Lock time is still very fast. I noticed no change in it. I would think if it were too slow you'd see it in your groups because the gun would have time to move ever so slightly before the bullet exited the barrel. But I don't see any of that in mine. Even shooting off hand where stability is lacking and you're just kinda yanking the trigger as the crosshairs cross the target.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:55 am

Marauder 1 wrote:Well as a spring developer I can tell you that this does work but with some tradeoffs. First off is lock time, the Mosin bolt is a large piece of metal to move. While a lighter spring will make it cycle easier due to the lessened pressure on the lugs it does not however accelerate the firing pin and bolt assembly as fast as a heavier spring will, this can cause light strikes in some cases. I've experimented with tons of various mixtures and of winds wire etc. You are correct that the lighter spring will work with reloading primers but won't on surplus. One thing to watch out for with a lighter spring is the fact that you can re-cock the rifle by pulling back the cocking knob. Also if you do happen to have a primer blowout it may cause the firing pin to be blown back. But your correct it does make your rifle a much friendlier beast to cycle. Shep if you'd like one of my springs to play I could get you one. It's not as light as yours but it's still kind of cool.

Seeya
Mark

I had one of your springs and it worked perfectly till I perforated a primer and the blowback destroyed it. I've had several perfs over the last few years fooling with this old surplus target ammo. It always over compresses the spring. When I can I want to shorten my bolt handle to see if I can get less motion, like the original bolt handle.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Mine has always been a strugle to open. Recently i did some grinding to it and she opens a lot easier now. Mostly the back end of the bolt body. I also reduced the step that the cocking ramp slided over. Makes the last 5d of turn much easier.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:40 pm

I polished my firing pin and it helped a ton.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum