It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Barrel Swapping ?

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Barrel Swapping ?

Postby Grindl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Just got a very nice 1943 Izzy 91/30 , high-wall , round receiver . With a smooth action and full length barrel . Lands and grooves go full length . Previous elderly owner was reducing his collection and this rifle is in really good condition . Nothing special about this one . Just a standard issue 91/30 w/low round count . Rifling is sharp & well defined . Other than the fact that it had not been shot since PO bought it in 1969-70.

I cleaned it three full cleanings , and used bore gel three times , and Never Dull throughout the cleanings . Bore is coming up very nice . Little to no evidence of corrosion and pitting in either the chamber or bore .

Here is where I open the can of worms .....

I am assembling the parts and pieces to build a serious F-class Mosin .
Receiver - Stock M-N / Round-high wall...On hand
Barrel - Krieger , 26" - 1-10 twist , chambered for M-N case w/.308 bullet. Target Taper . Purchased...
Scope - Vortex HST-LR 6-24-50....Purchased , NIB
Rail - RSI , MI-24 , w/xtra front length cut off in front of front mounting point . Sold on that four-point mounting on the Long Rail
Stock - ? Still no Final choice .
Trigger - Timney....Purchased
Since I already have a excellent candidate for the receiver / bolt in this "new" M-N , I'm considering having this barrel pulled to save it for my current build as a back-up barrel . Since both rifles are 43 Izzy's , should there be any serious difficulties with barrel swapping or "Timing" as a replacement when the original barrel does wear out ? I've heard "re-timing" a barrel can be a problem .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Barrel Swapping ?

Postby holescreek » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:37 pm

To find a barrel and receiver from different rifles that timed correctly wold require an enormous amount of luck. I tested this myself with parts in the shop and best condition was almost 180 degrees out.
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 22 times

Postby Shepard » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:44 pm

I have built more Mosins then I can count. I have NEVER had one time up in a barrel swap with stock barrels. If you have one that shoots and one your building -- don't break down the shooter, it's not worth the problems.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:40 am

Thank you for the responses . I was pretty sure that was the case . I've done nothing with this 91/30 except clean it up and take it out for a "shooting", to see what condition it is in . The rifle is a decent shooter , able to consistently (8 out of 10) hit a 10" steel disc at 150 yards , w/ stock sights , and 148 light ball mil-surp .
The down-side is that I now have a very nice "common" 91/30 , but still need to find a tight receiver and good bolt to build with . Though the bolt isn't a major issue , the receiver is .
My question concerning the barrel was more of a ; "Can I save the barrel from this new (to me) 91/30 to use it later on in a barrel swap on my current Archangel, when that barrel wears out ? The answer is : Probably not , without a lot of grief . The barrel issue was a secondary question anyway .
I'll continue to look for a suitable receiver , but when push comes to shove , and I have all the rest of the "pieces" assembled to begin this build , and I still haven't found a good receiver ?......I can't afford to be a collector , and you can't build a L/R rifle with worn out parts . Thank you again , for your knowledgeable responses . Appreciated , greatly .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Deathsythe311 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14 am

Your local to me here in AZ right? Pm me of you are. Might have something....
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks for responding . PM has been sent . Thank you . :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Deathsythe311 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Good luck with that build. Look forward to seeing it complete.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Thank you . Going to be a lot easier with a good receiver to start with . Sent you a PM a bit ago . Really great having access to people who know where your trying to go on a build , and have the knowledge and sound advice to make it happen .....Oh , and a supply of parts don't hurt either . lol :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now ; I've tapped out my fun money till April , so this is on the shelf till then . But that gives me plenty of time to go shooting with the Mid-range , 600 yard bunch at Ben Avery , and load more brass . Practice , practice , practice ... :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Grindl wrote:Thank you . Going to be a lot easier with a good receiver to start with . Sent you a PM a bit ago . Really great having access to people who know where your trying to go on a build , and have the knowledge and sound advice to make it happen .....Oh , and a supply of parts don't hurt either . lol :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now ; I've tapped out my fun money till April , so this is on the shelf till then . But that gives me plenty of time to go shooting with the Mid-range , 600 yard bunch at Ben Avery , and load more brass . Practice , practice , practice ... :thumbup:

I'm jealous -- its warm enough for you to practice. Its 28 degrees and I've been trapped inside. Hope the weather brakes soon.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum