It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Subsonic loads

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Subsonic loads

Postby Deathsythe311 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:40 am

Well I'm a few months into my wait from the ATF for my can and it will go on my mosin along with my other rifles. I'm looking for a load setup of any of you have done it. Looks on google and isn't much out there. If not I'll have to play with it a bit or see if IV8888 will give me his.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Re: Subsonic loads

Postby farmerboy78 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 am

I have a .308 bore, I use 220 gr bullets under 12gr trailboss... that's an initial load that was subsonic... gonna work with it more soon
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:57 pm

Well my cans finally came in. I will be loading some subs this week to test them out. Any input from you guys on what I should try would be awesome. Some pictures to follow.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Well I went out and tried to shoot it. No trail boss was in stock anywhere so I couldn't load any subs. I tried just a surplus round and the bolt stuck so bad I couldn't cycle the bolt. Had to come home and use some tools to get it to cycle it out. Any ideas?

Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 am

Saw this with a couple of .308 "F" guns where they put a can on , and shot there normal target load . Stretched the cases , and the primer fell out of the case , when extracted . So I'm curious about the shell casing . If you got it out intact , and you have it available , check all the dimensions of the case and it should tell you a lot . I'm guessing you have a case that very closely "mirrors" your chamber , dimensionally . Most "cans" are only designed to suppress noise , and do very little with regard to dissipating pressure build-up , causing a pressure spike when the round is discharged .

Most people don't realize that mil-surp is on the high end of the scale , both pressure , and velocity-wise , so I'm glad you weren't hurt , or the gun damaged . Some mil-surp has a listing of over 2,900 fps and that could have made for a very bad day .

Let me get into my data books and see what I can come up with and I'll try to post it today . Tomorrow , latest . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 am

My can is a smith enterprise windtalker. I don't know that much of the specs but I know the navy tested them and they were approved by the DOD. It works great for normal loads on my M14. I was able to find some trail boss yesterday after looking at 4 stores. I'll load some up tomorrow.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:08 am

As promised ; I just got off the phone with Mike at Hogdens Powder , and after explaining the situation , and lack of availability of Trail-Boss , he suggested H-4895 .
Pertinent Information : Hodgden's states that H-4895 charge weight can be reduced down to 60% of maximum charge , for load being used , and not have ignition issues . What this means is that you could load a 174SMK with 27gr of H-4895 and still get the round down-range . Hodgden's does NOT know if that would be in the sub-sonic range since they do not do sub-sonic data testing , but that load would be a lower velocity load .

Beginning load : 27.4gr H-4895
148 / 150gr bullet
This starting point load can also be used with a 174gr SMK , and loaded to normal COAL .

Remember Folks ! All loading data is informational only . Use your discretion and common sense when-ever dealing with loading data , no matter the source . And we are talking about a sub-sonic or lower velocity load to be used with a suppressor , to counter the over-pressure spiking caused by the suppressor restriction of venting gasses from ignition . Safety first .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Have you looked at how much room is left in a cartridge with that light a load? You may need to use some filler material.

I've heard some good things about this stuff
Puff-Lon is a lubricating ballistic filler

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I'll be off on Tuesday. I'll load them up and shoot them away. I know IV8888 uses 10 grains of trail boss with smk 176 grain. I'll see what I can do with those.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Well trail boss is a different kind of powder. 9 grains and the case is like 3/4 full. I didn't have much time so I loaded 10 up with surplus cases and bullets so I could shoot before it got dark. Unlike most of you guys my reload stuff is a hour away at my parents house. I was able to shoot them off. They still went supersonic but man that was so fun! I love my cans. I'll do more tomorrow.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum