It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Threading and chambering a green mountain blank

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Threading and chambering a green mountain blank

Postby redleg37 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm looking at eventually getting a green mountain barrel blank. Is there a preferred place to send it to get it threaded and chambered and possibly installed?

Also, am I right to assume that an unchambered blank made for a 7.62x39 barrel could work for a 7.62x54R barrel as long as it's chambered properly and has an appropriate twist rate?

Last question. Would any work have to be done to the bolt face for a 6.5 barrel to work?
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Threading and chambering a green mountain blank

Postby Even11 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 pm

I think Big Gorilla gun works is the preferred Mosin smith these days. Jay in NY may be able to do some mosin work as well.

We have a couple other member 'smiths, but 0933 is getting back on his feet, and I heard that Shepard had fallen ill and is not accepting work at this time.

Yes a x39 blank will work for x54R as long as you are shooting surplus ammo or reloading with .311-.312 bullets. You can also get a .308 bore barrel but then it is strictly reloads only.

6.5 Vostok? No bolt face work would need to be done. 6.5 Swedish, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, and most of the other 6.5s would take a bit of work to fit the bolt face.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:19 pm

If your looking for one I have one I could part with. Would be a barrel and Remington reciever.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby redleg37 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 am

I would take you up on it, but sadly I am placing my emphasis away from my Mosin for a while and putting it onto my Howa.

My Mosin receiver is all jacked up. I silver solder'ed holes from previous scope installations. The solder came out when trying to install my new scope mount. This was kind of the last straw with it for me.

The cost to rebarrel a Mosin costs less than a new barreled receiver for my Howa 1500. The Howa is smoother, has a better trigger, etc. It's just frankly a better gun.

If my Mosin was stock I would probably keep it just for the novelty and to shoot it once in a while; but its pretty poorly sporterized. I learned a lot bubbaing it.

Working on it has given me experience bedding a stock, polishing a trigger group, drilling and tapping steel, wood refinishing, work with various types of epoxy, and barrel crowning.

I've learned that I can do the wood work just fine, the bedding just fine, and the polishing just fine; but that I should probably try to outsource all my metal work.
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:39 am

redleg37 wrote:I'm looking at eventually getting a green mountain barrel blank. Is there a preferred place to send it to get it threaded and chambered and possibly installed?

Also, am I right to assume that an unchambered blank made for a 7.62x39 barrel could work for a 7.62x54R barrel as long as it's chambered properly and has an appropriate twist rate?

Last question. Would any work have to be done to the bolt face for a 6.5 barrel to work?

Could always do a 6.5x53rthay would fit the bolt face with no mods. Finding dies may be tough and it would be reloading only
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum