It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:47 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

New stock for my Mosin.

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: New stock for my Mosin.

Postby Grimstod » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 pm

It looks great. Will you paint it at all? Some came will look really good too. Welcome to the boyeds stock club. We should have a badge for them. Just saying. ;)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 285 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Grimstod wrote:It looks great. Will you paint it at all? Some came will look really good too. Welcome to the boyeds stock club. We should have a badge for them. Just saying. ;)

That's a good idea on the badge. They do take a little fitting on a Mosin. Especially wartime productions.

I finished out the bedding on the recoil lug and then did the tang pillar and then finished it out. I use 5 minute JBWeld. That way in about 10 minutes I can pull it apart, check for voids, add more if I need to, and everything is set enough to not move on me. A pretty job it is not but it should be functional. I removed stock material around the recoil lug, particularly behind it so I could get enough epoxy around it to hopefully have more than enough strength. It's my first pillar bedding job so I was a bit skittish. Mostly with the timney trigger cut. Trying not to get either the pillar or the trigger assembly area full. But it came out nicely. 30 seconds of trimming with a razor and it dropped right in nice and tight.

I am seriously debating reprinting all the metal but I can't decide. I almost thought about doing like a matte stainless steel. Or I may just apply a new coat of the color on it. Which is Ruger matte gray. As for the stock I think I am going to paint it the Ruger Matte gray as a base coat and then use Black and Tan on top of it to look like this.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 272 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:17 am

Well I painted a little on the stock and then assembled the gun for its first shots in the new stock. The group was not what I had hoped for but there was a lot of factors also. The gun has always shot better slightly fouled so I never clean it until accuracy starts to degrade, which it has been the last few range trips. So while I had it all apart I gave the barrel a thorough cleaning. It usually takes about 15 shots or so to settle into a good group again so I expected the group slightly more open. I also shot this first group with the muzzle brake screwed on which has in the past shown to open up my groups slightly. And lastly the particular batch of reloads I shot also in the past did not shoot that great. I just had 6 of them left and didn't have time to load any fresh so I shot those up.
So considering all that it did not surprise me that the very first shot and the second shot were about 3" a part. Shots 2,3,4 were about 3/4". I got up to let the barrel cool some then came back for shots 5&6 and I tried holding the gun a little different. These shots made the main group (excluding the first shot) about 1.25". Shots 5&6 hit about 1/2" apart but slightly lower than 2,3&4. I believe holding the stock different was the culprit there.

I will say the gun shot great as far as feel. It has never felt that good before. It is very smooth on the recoil. Before it felt vey jumpy, often jumping completely off the target even with the brake on. This caused me to have to reposition after every shot almost. With the new stock recoil is very noticeably less, but more importantly it seems to recoil straight into my shoulder and then back onto the target in one smooth action. I am very happy with it so far. Simply going on what I've seen and feel from the gun I think once the barrel reaches copper equilibrium again and I get some fresh reloads made up I think the gun will go back to 1/2 moa.

I definitely am going to have to make a new cheek riser as I cannot get a positive cheek weld. Again, no suprise there. I have very high cheek bones and this is a problem with all stocks for me.

I put a couple layers of camo on and then wanted to shoot it. I think it still needs a few alternating layers to get the look I want. I just wanted to shoot it so bad that I quit painting so it would dry in time to shoot it yesterday. I'm not happy with the camo look so far. If I can't get the look I want I may just paint the whole stock tan. I don't know.

Jared
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 272 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum