It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Front Porch

Gotta have some stars and stipes.......

Off topic discussions. Come and talk about anything here, pull up a chair and rest a spell

Gotta have some stars and stipes.......

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu May 22, 2014 6:33 pm

At the new house something still just seemed missing...... :problem: ........ :idea: Got it! My flag is missing. Since real flag poles are expensive and hard to move once concreted in, I needed a cheaper solution. I took a 16" piece of 1-1/4" conduit, cut 1/2" wide strip out of it long ways, beveled the edge, compressed it with a clamp and drove it 8" into the end of a 10' stick. Cut off the bashed up end from driving and beveled it. Tapped a screw through the 10' stick into the 16" piece (so the 16" piece would not slide anymore). Then drove another 10' stick onto that until the 10' sticks butted up tight to form a 20' stick. A rope cleat, two brass clips and a eyelet later.... 45 minute, $12 flagpole! (Already had the conduit and concrete)

Now problem #2 :think: my wife packed up the flag and despite looking several times neither of us can find it. Perhaps a new one is in order for the 4th.

Jared

(Will post pictures when a flag is up)
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Gotta have some stars and stipes.......

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am

Good news is....I found my flag packed up. :thumbup: Bad news is it's faded a lot worse than I remember. :eh: No tears or fraying, just faded. I think a new one will be in order before long anyways. Maybe for 2015 July 4th.

The pole is 20' so the top is about 18' above ground. I think it looks nice. Feels more homely now.
Jared

flagpole.jpg

P.S. in my file folder this is upright, don't know why it is posting sideways
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Gotta have some stars and stipes.......

Postby Alan LA » Sat May 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Looks great. :thumbup:
Random avatar
Alan LA
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 13 times

Return to Front Porch