It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Front Porch

243 and Berger hybrid hunter 95 grain bullets

Off topic discussions. Come and talk about anything here, pull up a chair and rest a spell

243 and Berger hybrid hunter 95 grain bullets

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 pm

My 243 is a 1:10 twist 20" barrel. I tried shooting 95 grn VLD bullets in it before but they would not stabilize well enough. Which the calculator said they would be on the line for stability. The 95 grain hybrids have almost as high of a BC and WILL stabilize in a 1:10. So I bought some hybrids a while back to try. I loaded them .015" off the lands and with H4831SC, which should get me to almost 3000 fps. Bergers book shows a max load of 45.1 grains so I loaded in half grain increments from 43.5 - 45 grains. The 44.5 grains shot the best at .244" CTC.

I will load some 3 shot test groups but at first look these may outshoot my previous best load (95 grain nosler BT, 35.1 grns Varget) which shoots 5/8 MOA reliably all the way to 500 yards. The Nosler load is traveling 2886 MV and the BC is much lower than these hybrids. So if I can get 3000 MV and a higher BC it should really help my long range game with this rifle.
image.jpg

By the way, the name these sell under is "95 grain Classic Hunter", but they are the 'hybrid' design that are intended to be less seating sensitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: 243 and Berger hybrid hunter 95 grain bullets

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:18 pm

I loaded a 3 shot group this evening at 44.5 grains and decided to shoot them even though the wind was blowing 25-35 mph from it seemed all directions at once. I was very pleased. The group measured .55" CTC in a nice triangle. I will load some more and test them at some further distance as soon as I can. Btw all shots fired today and Sunday were at 100 yards.

If this load proves itself in the next few sessions it will be the fastest I have ever found a load for a rifle. Counting the three shot group today I fired 11 bullets to find this load.

BTW this load is in my Marlin XS7 243. It has a 1:10 twist 20" sporter barrel. Very light weight.

My goal is to improve my long range performance with this rifle, by that I mean past 500 yards. With my previous load I've shot many groups between 2.5" and 3.5" at 500 yards but that's where it loses Noslers recommended minimum speed for expansion. The load was a 95 grain Nosler BT, MV 2886 and a BC of .379. This new load should yield about 2925-2950 fops with a higher BC of .427. It should not only extend my kill range but tighten my target groups up at a longer distance. Cut the wind better also.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Those are very promising results. Has the rifle had any work done to it?
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Its a modern rifle.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:54 pm

jaysny87 wrote:Those are very promising results. Has the rifle had any work done to it?

It's a Marlin XS7 243 that I bought brand new for $319. I put my own camo paint job on it. Bedded the stock. Made my own cheek riser. And that's pretty much it. It shoots incredibly well for what it is.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby farmerboy78 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Is this the marlin with the accutrigger? I've been tempted by these in the past...nice rifle! :thumbup:
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm

farmerboy78 wrote:Is this the marlin with the accutrigger? I've been tempted by these in the past...nice rifle! :thumbup:

Yes it is. Only they call theirs a "pro-fire" trigger and supposedly it is it's own design with its own patents. But it seems exactly the same to me. Mine at its lowest will adjust down to about 2 pounds. My dad's I just cranked it to its lowest and figured it would be the same but his is scary low. Probably a little more than a pound. I'm actually going to adjust his up when I get a chance.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 pm

I loaded another 3 shot group to shoot this evening. This group I loaded in previously fired brass that fit my chamber, all the other shots in this thread before today were in new virgin brass. I should have laid prone, but I didn't. I set up a Tupperware table and tried to get a good test. With every heartbeat I could see my crosshairs bounce from center of bullseye up to 12 o'clock and then back down. Instead of going prone I shot anyways, trying to time my shots between beats. The first two shots were in the bullseye and 1/16 th inch from being exactly in the same hole. The last shot I think the trigger broke on the beat and shot right at 12 o clock. But the group still was a respectable 0.57"
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:57 am

Farmer,
These marlins are modeled a lot like the savages with the easy take off barrels and all that too. I fact I've read on many sites that the savage barrel nut wrench fits the Marlin barrel nut AND savage prefit barrels will fit right on them. The only bad thing I've read about using savage prefit barrels is that savages thread tenon is a smudge longer than Marlin. So some may fit perfect. Some may bottom out before you reach your desired headspace. One gunsmith says as a general rule when he puts a savage barrel on the Marlin is to take a 1/32 - 1/16 off the savage tenon before starting and then the headspace with no problems.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Front Porch