It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Front Porch

East coast SOCAMO shoot

Off topic discussions. Come and talk about anything here, pull up a chair and rest a spell

East coast SOCAMO shoot

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Ok guys, the last two years I've been looking for a better place to have another shoot. I have finally found a place that I think is a winner. This weekend I joined a club that I think will be good for the whole family. It has a 600 yard rifle range, pistol range, skeet range, 5 ponds to fish in, stocked catfish in the ponds, a pretty decent swimming pool, a fairly new playground, some run down basketball courts but they are useable, several shelters that we could rent and camping available.

It's a pretty old facility so it is not in prime condition but at least it would have something for everyone. Pricing is fair in my opinion. I can have unlimited guests. Day guest pass is $3 per person. The shelter is $25 a day TO RESERVE IT. You do not have to reserve the shelter to use it. We could always just show up and hope one is unoccupied and use it for free. Camping is $10 a night for primitive, $15 for full hook up. I do not know if the camping is available for guests or not. I'm sure I could get at least one site in my name though and let whoever stay on it.

What I need from you all is a count on who is interested and what time of year is best. This will be for next year, 2017. I'm thinking June would be nice. Pool water should be warm enough without us cooking at the range. They will also be stocking Cats then in the ponds. Please let me know so I can get an idea of interest and start planning things. I know participation is down here so please pass this on to members you believe may be interested but just not visiting the site regular.

Jared.

PS. Forgot to mention. The range is in Charleston, WV.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: East coast SOCAMO shoot

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 am

Anyone? No interest at all?
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby bearrowland » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:55 am

Sorry for the delay....sounds like fun! Late Spring or late Summer (August-Sept) would sure work for me! I'll be driving in from central PA.
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully we can get some more interest. The range is pretty nice. I burned 100 rounds or so there last weekend
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby bearrowland » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:59 am

Looking forward to it! I know we have guys on the East Coast...maybe they haven't logged on in awhile.
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 am

The Mosin sure was looking good last weekend. First shot cold bore surprised me a little with a direct hit on the 6" center flipper of the 600 yard man silhouette. After a few warm up shots I went 4/4 on head shots on the man silhouette at 600 yards. One shot was a couple inches from the other 3 shots which landed in about a 2-1/2" group. It was a good time. The Mosin drew some attention. Guys from the pistol range had to come over and see what I was shooting. He said it sounded like I was shooting a canon. After watching the head shots one made the comment "nice, remind me not to ever **** with you!"

Right now there is steel at 320 yards and 600. I'm sure we can find a spot in between at like 450 or something to set up one of my gongs. That will give everyone a nice range of distances.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:37 am

I know what you mean about the "attitude adjustment" by non-Mosin shooters , Jared . It is always rewarding to enlighten people that think a accurate rifle has to be custom-built , and cost gazillion dollars . Nice shootin .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 191 times
Kudos  Received: 122 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Grindl wrote:I know what you mean about the "attitude adjustment" by non-Mosin shooters , Jared . It is always rewarding to enlighten people that think a accurate rifle has to be custom-built , and cost gazillion dollars . Nice shootin .

Thanks. It was a good day of shooting. Now I have been around the smart hind quarters that turn their nose up when you say the word Mosin, but that particular guy was actually serious. He made several nice complements about the rifles and said it was some of the best shooting he has seen. ( apparently he hasn't seen a whole lot of shooting :shifty: ). Thanks again

Come on guys. I know there is more people that are close WV.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:05 am

Just bumping this to the top in hopes that someone else will see it
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:37 am

Only about 2,100 miles for me . Each way . Just a quick Day-trip. lol. If I were closer ; I'd be in for it . Sounds like a good time week-end . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 191 times
Kudos  Received: 122 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Next

Return to Front Porch