It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Models and Specs

Odd rear sight on a Mosin..can anyone help identify?

Mosin Nagant Models, Specs and Variations

Odd rear sight on a Mosin..can anyone help identify?

Postby opos » Mon May 27, 2013 12:47 pm

I recently got a 1936 sporterized Mosin that has the rear sight shown...it has adjusting screws for windage in addition to the normal slide for elevation...is this a "factory" sight or something that has been added or modified? If you click on the arrows that show up at each side of the picture link below there are a couple of pictures of the gun as well as the sight.

Many thanks
opos

[img][IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/oposbob/th_DSCF0085.jpg[/img][/img]
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Re: Odd rear sight on a Mosin..can anyone help identify?

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Hmm looks aftermarket. If it is original its something that has never showen up before. It's also way to clean looking. Is it yours?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby opos » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Yes, it's mine...the Mosin was thought (by the previous owner) to be one that was "sporterized" by the importer back in the late 50's or 60's...it has a barrel that is about an inch or less the length of a 44 or carbine..it has what appears to be a "reversed" 03 or 03a3 front sight. It is not numbers matching and was supposed to have been a rifle used (or allocated) during the Spanish Civil war. I was able to find a very similar receiver marking that seems to fit..it has the wreath with the hammer and sickle and was described by the author on the site as "Soviet post 1928 dragoon or 91-30 and Izhevsk Crest". The barrel, although it was cut at some time is crisp and clean and bright..not counterbored...the finish is very nice (stock is an after market ATI which is recent) and the bolt handle has been turned down. It kicks like a mule and is accurate.

If you can see in the pictures I posted in the original post...the mount for the rear leaf does not have the 2 pins that are normal for a rear Mosin sight...I'm not sure but it appears that the sight on it has been slid on the dovetail and there are no pins holding it in place...may be one very small cross pin at the front area of the mount...it's a really neat sight and the windage adjustment seems to work fine. I have no idea what this might be.

If you pull up the picture on my original post you should be able to click on the arrows and scroll up the other 2 pictures of the rifle...fun little shooter. I'm weeding my way through some of the Bulgarian yellow tip heavy ball ammo with the 55-10 marking on it...finding some split necks (not many but enough to get them sorted out)..Because I can't shoot magnetic bullets in my area or at local ranges I'm going to use a collet puller and replace the magnetic projectiles with some Speer or Sierra 180 grain and just reuse the powder and primers as they are..
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Ok checking it out now. This is interesting.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Ya I see the lack of pins in the rear sight this is uniqu. It must be sawdered on. The sight does look like a nice one. Getting the distributor for these (if they still exist) would be cool. Lot of users would benefit.

Have you checked out the database at 7.62x54r.net? They have lots of historical data on these but this sight I can tell you does not show up there. I have a one of a kind laminated mosin that has only one pin. Unheard of. But this is also new to me. And no pins at all. Curious. :crazy:

I know the Finns never did anything like this.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby opos » Fri May 31, 2013 6:01 am

Finally got it narrowed down on the 7.62x54r site. This is an early sight on a 91-30 that was not put through the Russian remanufacturing process and probably ended up in Spain or some other country after WW2...this agrees with what I was told (about Spain...this supposedly was a Spanish Civil war model)...on the 7.62 sight it shows all the sight bases from the beginning and their progress...this is clearly shown and it's one that is soldered on with no cross pins..it has a very small "locking screw" at the rear of the mount. Everything about it appears as stock except for the windage click adjsttment which is no a Mosin feature as far as any of the literature....some basement project no doubt but well done and it works great. The bases that went through re arsenaling that were like mine with no pins in the base were drilled and pins installed as an "upgrade"...some were still stoldered and some were not. I was going to try and use a Brass Stacker mount but it would have meant drilling through the sight base and also through the dove tail rail under the sight...frankly I don't have the equipment or the skills to be sure enough to do that so I'm looking into other mount options for a scope or a red dot...think the S and K looks about as good as any. There have been several scope mount bases that appear on You Tube that look decent but the companies are all out of business....I hate to try and make the little chinese rail work as I've heard they are all junk and won't do the job...may just put the sight leaf back on and use it open sights as best I can with bad eyes.
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 am

Wow very interesting. I agree that it is very well put together. Glad you were able to figure this out. Thanks for sharing this. It adds to our database every time someone comes up with something unique like this.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Return to Mosin Nagant Models and Specs