It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Computer Software and Tech Goodies

Block Google, Facebook and Others Who Want To Track You

Here you can share your links to some of your favorite gun or computer related software. Because gun owns do have computers.

Block Google, Facebook and Others Who Want To Track You

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

OK over the last few days it has come out that Google and others on the internet are wanting to track your browsing habbits and make them public. Here is a great plug in for you MosZilla Firefox and SeaMonkey users.

It's called Google Privacy, you can install it by going to tools then Add-On Manager in your upper right corner there is a search box type in Google Privacy. Then when you find the plugin install it. You'll need to update your browser if it's out of date.

Then restart your browser and go back and you should see the new plug in under extensions tab. Then click on the options button and check the boxes you want blocked. I checked them all BTW

Also look at the left side of the box and check the "Set Mozilla Do Not Track Flag". The go down a little lower and check the replace original links box and uncheck the show original links too box.

Now when you log into Google you should see little green checked shields next to all the stuff at the top, that's telling you your blocking all that stuff. There are several other plugins as well that will increase your privacy. I'll post them later.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Block Google, Facebook and Others Who Want To Track You

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Here is another great program for Firefox and SeaMonkey it's called "Ghostery" it allows you to block various tracking software from Adsense and others. It's a free download and installs pretty quick.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Busted » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Ghostery can also be used with chrome.
Busted
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Yep BUT I don't use Chrome, IF Google made it I don't want it. I just bet there is even more stuff hidden under the hood of Chrome than we know at the moment.

This has now become an issue of trust, I don't trust Google or any of their sub companies any more. The mere fact they collect data on you and store it bothers me period.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Busted » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:30 pm

If you really want to stay hidden, use Tor browser ;) or a VPN... or both. I don't trust any company, all websites are made to gather and store data about you. Google, YouTube, Facebook, Myspace, etc... all take your info and sell it to companies. Bad part is they did it long before we really noticed or even cared what they did. I am sure many of you have noticed lots of sites are saying something like, "We're changing our privacy policy and terms." I know I have seen it on PayPal, Google, YouTube and Facebook I think as well.
Busted
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Chenko » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

please only use Tor if you really really need to. it sucks up resources used for trying to keep the internet up in countries that there is extreme censorship. VPN is cheap. Look for one in Switzerland or Russia. Im sure Mark Knows i often sign in from a VPN ;)

Also, using Tor to log on to emails and such is not a good idea as it leaves you open to being compromised via Man in the Middle.

Remember that none of those plugins will protect you from web apps that you use like gmail, youtube, etc. using google encryption in your gmail will protect you from the prying eyes of any Fed organization, but not from google and there is a long standing argument that google gets funding from the NSA.

Just remember anything you type on your computer is pretty much not private anymore. There are a lot things you can to to make your data more private, but that is beyond the of this forum.
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Postby sajuaro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:28 am

sajuaro
Grunt
Grunt