It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:18 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Computer Software and Tech Goodies

Green Screen

Here you can share your links to some of your favorite gun or computer related software. Because gun owns do have computers.

Green Screen

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Any of you interested in learning how to use green screen or Chroma Key to enhance photos of your Mosin Nagant? I've found a free software package and with a little cloth from your local yardage shop and a few lights you could be doing some really cool pics
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Green Screen

Postby Busted » Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Can't go wrong with free software. I would be interested in seeing what someone can do with it. Plus we could always use it for more than just our Mosin Nagant's.
Busted
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:45 am

OK here is something I knocked out tonight while doing some test photos with the screen, The stock is setting in front of the screen by about 4 feet and lighting the screen properly is critical. You also need to front light the object you are photographing. So here is something I threw together.
GREEN TEST 1Bx.jpg

This is all done with FREE software.
Seeya
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Busted » Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 am

Very nice and for free software you can make nice professional grade photos.
Busted
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 am

Well for those of you that are interested the photo program is called paint.net. No that's not the URL but the program name. You'll then need the Chroma Key plugin which is also free. There are actually a ton of free plugin for this program and best of all is the price, FREE.

I also used a program called PhotoScape which BTW is also FREE. PhotoScape has a TON of cool features that can help you render out beautiful professional looking photos.

Here are the links to the programs
PhotoScape Download
Download for Paint.Net
Chroma Key Plugin for Paint.Net
Well if you want anymore goodies like this let me know
Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 am

After you download these you'll need some sort of green background. Depending on the size you need you can go to your local fabric store and pickup a few yards of Muslin in the proper color range. If your looking for something larger then you might have to go with a painted surface.

Lighting is ultra critical to getting a good green screen effect, while I said critical it does not have to be expensive. Lighting the green screen first to obtain a flat even light is what you want. Then you'll need to light the object you want to place in the photo. Shadows are a no no, so try and avoid having your lights cast a shadow where the camera can see them. I'm going to do a more details post for this later.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Return to Computer Software and Tech Goodies