It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:37 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Computer Software and Tech Goodies

Search Engines

Here you can share your links to some of your favorite gun or computer related software. Because gun owns do have computers.

Search Engines

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

OK if you guys are tired of being tracked by Google and the others here is a couple great search engines

Duck Duck Go
This is a very fast search engine without any tracking.. Looks good so it's now one of my favorites

IXQUICK
Touts it self as the "Worlds most private search engine" Take a deep breath. You're safe here.

Anyway thought I'd offer these up for you guys to try.. I really like both of them because they store no info on you at all..

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 346 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Search Engines

Postby b0neZ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Ixquick is great! I use Startpage as my home page, and IIRC they use the Ixquick proxy.

Also, recently found an add-on for Firefox called Do Not Track Me. Been using it for about a week, and it appears to work well.
Random avatar
b0neZ
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 13 times
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Postby opos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:27 pm

My Son...the computer whiz suggested Duck Duck go quite a while back and I've used it ever since...it is terrific!! I don't go anywhere near Google for anything that I can help....I had posted a bunch of vids on You Tube of antique engines running (my other passion) and then they wanted more and more info and next thing I knew I was all over Google's stuff without wanting to be part of any of it...and it took forever to get out of their realm...I think Duck Duck Go has pretty strong filters for adult type things but at 75 I forgot what that stuff is anyway.
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 am

Opos are you the guy who posted all the videos of those monster steam engines on You Tube.. Those are some awesome videos some of those huge single cylinder units are unbelievable.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby b0neZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm

opos wrote:My Son...the computer whiz suggested Duck Duck go quite a while back and I've used it ever since...it is terrific!! I don't go anywhere near Google for anything that I can help....I had posted a bunch of vids on You Tube of antique engines running (my other passion) and then they wanted more and more info and next thing I knew I was all over Google's stuff without wanting to be part of any of it...and it took forever to get out of their realm...I think Duck Duck Go has pretty strong filters for adult type things but at 75 I forgot what that stuff is anyway.

Quick reminder: Similar to building a balsa wood plane, Tab A goes into Slot B. :D

On Google: I really don't like how they collect information, but I'm hooked on Android. I know how to get around that, though.
Random avatar
b0neZ
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 13 times
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Unless Slot B has a headache..

:oops:

Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Return to Computer Software and Tech Goodies