It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:22 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Parts Vendors

Problems with Rock Solid mounts

Need a part and don't know where to get one list your favorite parts vendors here with links to there sites

Postby DevilDog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Well, after buying a 30mm scope, I had to get some new rings. I could not get the Warne Maxima's (Made in Oregon :thumbup: )at my local BiMart 'cause they dont carry 30mm. So I bought some Weaver mounts that looked cool and would fit (I thought) the RSI mount which has Weaver sized slots.

THATS WHEN THE TROUBLE STARTED!

Best explained in my email to RSI:

"Gentlemen,

It has come to my attention that the Mosin Nagant Mounts I have from your company are not machined to a suitable size.

The width on your scope rail measures .835 (+/- .002). While this may be the standard M1913A size, every other Pic Rail I own measures from .830 to .823.

The problem is that I have 3 different scope rings which will not sit flat on your rail. They all cant to one side because the rail is too wide. I have attached pictures showing the problem.

Only my Warne Maxima rings, which are a symmetrically clamping design, can be used without issue. Probably why I failed to notice until buying some other rings recently for a new 30mm scope.

The ring shown in the photo is a Weaver, the first pic is your rail, the second is a EGW Extendariser Pic Rail. As you can see, the ring is not level or flat against your rail.

I hope you will give this due consideration and respond accordingly."

Those with RSI Mounts should check theirs, those considering the upgrade should look to the Warne Maxima rings pictured below to avoid an issue.
They are available in 1" and 30mm diameters.

I had to shave the side of my Weavers to make them sit flat until the Warnes arrive :cry:

BAD:
IMG_3292.JPG

GOOD:
IMG_3293.JPG

Warne Maxima's:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: Problems with Rock Solid mounts

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Hmmm you should call Ken directly at RSI, I think he would be more than helpful on this. That is some great information and perhaps worth checking on all on all scope mounts rails. This also brings up a interesting point about non symmetrical clamping style mounts on a rail. I've often wondered about uneven pressures creating cant.

Nice Work DevilDog
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby snyper2384 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 am

which maxima rings are those?
snyper2384
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby DevilDog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 am

Here they are:

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/rings/

This chart may help, or confuse further :roll:
http://warnescopemounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Scope-Ring-Chart.pdf

Oh, and the other problem with the RSI mount is I cannot use my 20MOA rail from Evolution Gun Works, as it is spaced for Pic slots, and will not fit the Weaver slot spacing that RSI uses (harumph)

That is why I built in 10 MOA when installing the mount.

;)
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Here's the problem I experienced with my Rock Solid mount. I had to open up the slots to pic rail from weaver rail. The enclosed web site explains the difference. I wrote Ken an email but never got a response.
I was able to fix my problems.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1072 ... ifference_
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Noel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Warne and Leupold PRW rings are My favorites. I use Warne mounts 99% of the time. I use Basger Ordnance rings on hard use guns, but regardless of what action is taken about the size of the mount Warne rings are an excellent addition to anything.
Random avatar
Noel

Postby PRegner » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 pm

I purchased my RSI mount for my 91/30 about 3-1/2 years ago, and Ken specifically recommended that I use the Warne Maxima rings. I followed his recommendation and couldn't be more satisfied.

This thread just ensures that I will continue to use Warne Maxima's with my next RSI mount. The Warne's are not cost prohibitive, and it's a small thing to do to make sure my scope is indeed "rock solid".
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
PRegner
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 15 times

Return to Mosin Nagant Parts Vendors