It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Parts Vendors

PTG rant, watch out

Need a part and don't know where to get one list your favorite parts vendors here with links to there sites

PTG rant, watch out

Postby Grimstod » Wed May 07, 2014 5:50 pm

SO I have to rant about Pacific Tool and Gauge. They are the primary and really only supplier of reamers for the 54r. But they are totally wrong!!

1. The neck is too big. 338 is just way to much blow out for a custom gun. If your making a rebarreled Mosin then that is to big. Should be about 337-336 in the neck. I would like mine to be 335 at the mouth and 336 at the shoulder.
2. 120thousanths of freebore. Are you guys at PTG kidding me?! :evil: That enough freebore for a 240gr bullet. Ohh by the way no one makes bullets that big and long for the 311cal crowd.
3. Also the slope of the forcing cone on the lands is to gradual. First its 29 then it 35 degrees. A 45 would be much more desirable for accuracy desiring shooters.
4. My last biff with this reamer is that it is suppose to be for 308 bore. Then why is the hole things so freak-in oversized?

Any way this post is mostly to help those of you that want to get a reamer. If you get one from PTG don't let the guy at PTG convince you to use his specs. When our on the phone with him he is going to tell you that he has made hundreds of these. Well he has made hundreds of the wrong. I attached PTG print of their reamer. Interestingly it is made for MidwayUSA. Not sure why that is on there print. If you want to get a reamer that will actually shoot worth a hill of beans get it custom made or rent one that has the proper specs.
1. Less freebore
2. Tighter neck for your brass of choice with no more then .004 of clearance (accuracy crazy people like me get it as tight as .002
3. Make sure its for your bore of choice weather it be 311 or 308. these are not interchangeable if you want the best results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: PTG rant, watch out

Postby Gamecock24 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Man that sucks. I'm sure you waited a long time for that reamer. Are they at least going to take it back and make one to your specs?
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Re: PTG rant, watch out

Postby Grimstod » Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 pm

7.62 x 54 R Fin (SAAMI improved- Grimstod) 5206.pdf
This is not a reamer I have. The smith already has one for 308 now I need one for 312bullets. Here is one I have been drawing up. All bold numbers are the ones I have changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Parts Vendors