It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Variants

A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Finnish M27, M39 M28-76, Captures and any others

Re: A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Postby DevilDog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, photos as promised:
M28-76A_full.jpg

M28-76A_stamp.jpg

You do not realize from most photos how off-center the handgrip and buttstock are on these:
HandSwell.jpg

StockSweep.jpg

Here is a look at the original diopter, and one fitted with an adapter for the late model eyepiece. Note how much deeper the socket is, and it is threaded on the inside of the perimeter, perhaps for an eyecup of some sort.
diopters.jpg

This has a "no-logo" pressure proof just like the M39 B barrel postwar, yet has the SAKO gearwheel on the sight base.
PP_late.jpg

Makes me wonder if it was the postwar style.

Here is a look at the M27 style pinned sear trigger, which cams against the receiver instead of the normal trigger pin, which is absent
M28-76A.jpg

Do not fear, it was re-assembled with Finnstigator's ejector set and Finny will get the new one. The rear of the spring and top of the screw get shaved for diopter clearance, and the Finnstigator has an RSI mount bedding on it as I type ;)

Knowing it came from importer, to a non shooter's safe then me, means this sear trimming was probably from the orginial Finnish shooter:
Sear_mod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Postby USSR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

That is so cool! Those Finns sure know how to make a Mosin better! I can't help but wonder how the trigger feels vs a normal Russian trigger. I have been thinking about polishing up the contact points on the sear in the Mosin I just got. I'd really like to do a more old school, refinement of the action itself meaning polishing up the camming surfaces of the bolt, working on the sear and just seeing really what ARE the limitations of the stock style trigger. As it sits right now it has a pretty darn good two stage trigger with a pretty sloppy break. Actually in building the new one I found that the sear that was on my M9130A2 build originally was incredibly heavy but the ones in the new one and my carbine were MUCH lighter. Quite odd indeed.

Jeez I kind of walked off topic here, sorry DD! Thanks for sharing!
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Variants