It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:26 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Variants

A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Finnish M27, M39 M28-76, Captures and any others

A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Postby DevilDog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Well, apparently I can not pass up a deal on a FinnMo, especially one I have wanted for so long. Sometimes timing is everything.

It came up for auction VERY reasonably (half market price...WHAT?)and since Obama did not spend ALL my tax money, I had some left over.

Here are the seller photo's, I can not wait to get it!
M28-76.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: A jewel of an addition - M28-76 complete

Postby Even11 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 pm

NICE!! I know 0933 and I both got a couple of barrelled actions for these, I have to find an stock I like and start reloading.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:54 pm

I was eye balling that one too. But I am glad you got it. It would be a little strenuous on my finances right now. Cuomo spent all of my tax dolors. :evil:

Congratulations and be sure to post some of your own photos when it gets there.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Shepard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Beautiful piece -- whats half price about 450?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby DevilDog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

TGI has them at $1000, and that was list for 1 current auction, a scoped one was at $1200.

I am at half of in between those ;)

I will be posting load info in the Finnstigator thread, these are a bit tricky so far, but I am narrowing it down. They really need tuning as 1 gr has made the diff between 3 moa and 1 moa.

You will be happy to know IMR 4350 is working well! Shooting 200 gr Sierra .308's currently.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby 0933 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Very Nice!!! I've handled one, and even though the stock looks 'blocky' it's amazingly comfortable, especially in prone. She looks pretty clean... let us know how she performs at range! 8-)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 pm

OK thanks to Devil Dog and the rest of you M28/76 owners I'm trying to sell off some stuff on ebay to get one.. Actually this was the 2nd Mosin I fell in love with but have never had the resource and the rifle in the same place at the same time.

So I hope to be part of the Finnish M28/76 owners club soon.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:24 am

Funny you should mention that, I finally picked her up today. It was a sticky mess inside, the previous owner had not cleaned nor fired it since getting it from Empire Arms a "few years" back.

It is in pieces getting cleaning up. Interesting thing, the ejector/interrupter and spring had been removed. Seller didn't know, not having used it. It was gone. Easy to get though, already coming from eBay.

Makes me wonder, as a target shooter, if it was removed to be shot single shot only and remove empties by hand rather than having them flung out.

The first thing I did was seat a bullet to check against my D166, and the throat IS shorter than the other, it seats to the lands nicely with a .308 bullet.

Passed the NO GO headspace gauge test and chambered Finn brass (but not Russian fired, this is common to all 4 Finns I have tested)

It has the M27 pinned sear trigger Mark is familiar with, but my first ;) .

I will put up some photos of it when the "renewal" treatments are complete and I get a new SD card reader :)
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Great article on the M28/76 and it's variations here Looks like they come in more flavors than we thought.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for finding that Mark, I remember some of the info, but forgot the site and kept looking to verify it on the other 2 reference sights.

This is why I orginally wondered about my barreled action and must be what farmerboy has after all. I just could never find this and 7.62x54r and MosinNagant.net treat the M28-76 like a redheaded step child, with little or no data like the other rifles.

I think it may be the ONLY reference to the use of M39 barrels, and I would stick to the position of the front sight as one indicator of which it may be. I see no data to indicate they moved the front sight or shortened the barrel, but I think a few folks here have some they can measure!

Serial Numbers could provide a link as well. Sneak M39's seem to have 300xxx numbers, at least from a quick glance at some recent auctions and a photo on mn.net.

Finnstigator is a sneak no date s/n 233xxx, which that sight ref's as a M28-30 spec

The M28-76 this thread is about (lol) is a sneak 1968 sn 10275, similar to one listed on the estonia site.

M39

M28-30

My barrels all measure 26" from joint to muzzle including the M28-30, but I do not have an M39 to measure until tomorrow.
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Variants