It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Gun Clubs and Club Shoots

how about a so cal mosin meet

OK it was suggested that we have an area for Gun Clubs so advertise your Club activities here. CMP activities etc

Re: how about a so cal mosin meet

Postby notabiker » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 am

i just might be able to go next friday to oak tree [not the official mosin meet]. i would need to go way before 3 pm cuzz friday traffic across town would be very bad from chino hills.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby notabiker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 am

i know we have a lot of time. but it seems this event has stalled.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby cwilliams » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:39 am

I wouldn't say it has stalled. We were gathering some more information from Oak Tree to see what we can come up with. They just opened their new rifle range which is supposed to be up and running every day that Oak Tree is open. Mark, if you heard otherwise, let us know. So far, the range does not have lights on it, but I was told they would be arriving very soon. In the meantime, it is only open when it's light out. In terms of improvements over their other range, here's what I discovered -

1. It faces south compared to other range that face due west. You are totally in the shade for the entire time you are shooting.
2. The longest distance is still 100 yards, but they also have some steel targets set up at different increments that are a great deal of fun to shoot.
3. They are allowing hand guns to be shot here as well.
4. New shooting benches were delivered the day I shot. This is a MUCH needed improvement over the far too short tables they had been using.
5. Rifle rests were on every table and I expect to see them there now. If you forget yours or don't want to haul it with you, you're in luck!
6. Continue to bring a spotting scope. They only had one they were trading off amongst shooters. Unless you have eagle eye vision that can see a hit 100 yards away, you'll need it.
7. Surplus is still allowed! Again, not one RO said a single word to me about my ammo nor did they check. Actually, one really liked the casings of my 40's surplus and was going to create wind chimes out of them. However, out of the safety of everyone, I shot only my factory PPU ammo at the steel targets.

Beyond any difference from my other post that I listed about Oak Tree, the rest still applies.

Mark, is there anything else you'd like to add?
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby USSR » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Lead core can be shot at the steel targets. Steel core should not be shot less than 100 yds as it WILL ricochet. I would know...
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 pm

You got most if it there Chris. This range in the twilight is a perfect place for fireball photos!

Well I'm going to be at the range next Saturday so I'll talk with Brian the Range Master to verify this. I think if we set a day far enough in advance we could rent the range for 1/2 a day in the evening. That way if you were driving from a distance there would be plenty of time to get to the range.

If we are going to do a range day I can bring some samples of Militec One and who knows what else. I was going to head over today but I need to study for a class ext week.

I think we need to plan this more than a couple weeks in advance that way everyone who wants to come to a shoot can make it. Also I think I would bring out my professional video camera along with a couple others for footage and photos.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby cwilliams » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:58 pm

USSR wrote:Lead core can be shot at the steel targets. Steel core should not be shot less than 100 yds as it WILL ricochet. I would know...

Absolutely correct! My surplus was lead core with a bi-metal jacket and I still didn't take the risk. The PPU factory stuff I shot it with is lead core and FMJ. Like I said, for everyone's safety. :D
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby cwilliams » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:Also I think I would bring out my professional video camera along with a couple others for footage and photos.

I'm not sure if I had put away or not, but I had my GoPro camera with me and took plenty of video of myself and my brother shooting. I even clamped it to my Mosin facing back at me for a few shots. I'll get some clips posted up on YouTube and I'll post them when I can. They are great cameras for something like this because of their ultra-wide lens.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby notabiker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am

how about we start a plan for our get together. my vote is for oak tree rifle range on a Saterday . we could have our own gun show to show off our Mosins and have a shoot from say 4 pm until closing. maybe pick a time to eat together. how about late September. no location is going to be best for everybody. oak tree is a 50 mile drive for me but that is ok. we can shoot our bulk ammo :lol: :lol:
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby cwilliams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm

The only problem we're running into right now is they have not given us an update as to when the lights will be on the new "AR" range. I was told they would be installed in "a couple weeks" during the first time I went there. The other "LAPD" range has been a hit or miss whether it has been open to the public, even on the days their website says it usually is. I'm sure we all want to see some fireballs anyways, right? :)
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby TheRighttoBearArms » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:50 pm

notabiker wrote:we could have our own gun show to show off our Mosins and have a shoot from say 4 pm until closing. maybe pick a time to eat together. how about late September.

That sounds like a winner to me. Hell, we can even shoot on a work night if that works for everyone. I can see skipping a martial arts class on a Thursday to do this. Wickedly Fun.

RBA

ps. This shoot can't be all things to all people at the same time. But, I figure having 6-12 people at least make it worthwhile. I would also point out that this is a " first " step to building the bonds of the Socamo community. There will be other meets. As long we're all building our skill with the M91/30's then it's all good.
Dear Brutus, our Fates lie not within the stars but within ourselves... Senator Cassius
TheRighttoBearArms
Sniper
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Clubs and Club Shoots