It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:43 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Gun Clubs and Club Shoots

how about a so cal mosin meet

OK it was suggested that we have an area for Gun Clubs so advertise your Club activities here. CMP activities etc

Re: how about a so cal mosin meet

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I'll put in a call to the good folks at Oaktree and see what it would cost us to use the hall and the range. It would be kind of fun to have a custom and rare rifle display. Hmm I wonder if I can work up some sponsors.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby cwilliams » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 pm

kermit wrote:how far from san diego?? i have 4 - 91/30 and 1 m44

It's a good 3-4 hours from San Diego on a good traffic day. Depends on which part of San Diego you would be coming from as well. The range is off the Calgrove exit on the 5 and just north of where the 5 and 14 freeways meet in Newhall. It's a nice place that's nestled in the hills.

The other larger ranges around available to the public are A Place to Shoot, Angeles, Burro Canyon, Lytle Creek, and Wes Thompson's Piru range (which is supposed to be pretty nice). None of which allow the use of magnetic surplus ammo with the exception of Burro Canyon in the wet season as I noted in my last post.

notabiker - How was shooting at Mike Raahauge's? - Also another option since I recall you saying they allowed surplus. I wouldn't mind that drive either since it's near some family.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby TheRighttoBearArms » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

cwilliams wrote:Oak Tree will let you shoot surplus. It's also a few miles from my house :) Great range with lots of amenities and plenty of restaurants close by. $20 a day range fee that also includes the pistol range.

The rifle range isn't open every day, but they advertise their rifle shoot from 12pm-10pm every Friday. They also have lights.

I should be over there tomorrow afternoon giving my 1932 Izzy ex-dragoon and my Browning .22 pistol a workout.

CWilliams, greetz.

Oaktree sounds like a candidate in which case you're a good man to know. The costs sound reasonable and the times as well. We could literally have 2 or 3 shifts for this get together. i.e. 1200-1600 hrs, 1600-2000 hrs, and 2000-2200 hrs.

Just so you guys know, I believe in the M91/30 and feel that with diligent care, a minimal investment, and some ambition. It's capable of providing outstanding performance in a contemporary setting. That is these rifles will go as far as the owner is willing to take it.

My initial vote is for Oaktree but I'm a team player and we have to stick together.

RBA

ps. Btw, fellas. After I shoot the Tula 38 and the Izzy 43 which serve as a Sniper and a Battle rifle. I'm gonna wheel out an SKS and an Arsenal SGL21. cool? I bleed the cosmoline of this rifle with you guys but it is still part of my "system."
Dear Brutus, our Fates lie not within the stars but within ourselves... Senator Cassius
TheRighttoBearArms
Sniper
Sniper

Postby cwilliams » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:06 am

I will more than likely have another milsurp rifle other than a Mosin to shoot by the time we get this all planned out. I have many rifles on my list that I would like to acquire, it's just a matter which one I will shell out money on first. The short list is an SKS and either a Swiss K-11 or a K-31.

Also, I failed to mention that their rifle range is only up to 100 yards. I do not know if that is a deal breaker or not, but it's certainly better than nothing. I'll report back tomorrow with any more details. In the meantime, check out their website: Oak Tree Gun Club
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby notabiker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 am

the problem with Mike Raahauges is we are limited to 6 lanes at 100 yards , that is it for rifles. and you must shoot from the bench because their is a overhang only about 5 feet off the ground so that you can't elevate your shot and kill a farmer 1 mile away.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby notabiker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 am

i was at lytle creek about a month ago, it is pretty nice. they did not checked for FMJ while i was their. just saying. for the SD folks it would only be a 2 HR drive on the 15 fwy. i admit Oak Tree sound like the best place to do this. i really want to check out all the MN and others at a rifle range and see us all shoot our rifles.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby TheRighttoBearArms » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 am

Morning CWilliams and Notabiker,

I'll support whichever range wins the majority. I would point something out though. Obviously, the easier it is for people to get too the easier it will be for our members to follow through. We're talking a Friday, right? People have to plan around work, school, girls, etc.

haha. So far Oak Tree and Lytle Creek both have their strong points. I have Oak Tree in first but if we're all in then Lytle Creek will work too. Heck, if it gets to that point. We might as well car pool. haha. ( depending on where " we " live )

CWilliams: What kind of SKS are you looking at? My Yugo PAP M59/66A1 gets out of jail one week from tomorrow. haha. Only my Mosins are keeping me from thinking about it.
Dear Brutus, our Fates lie not within the stars but within ourselves... Senator Cassius
TheRighttoBearArms
Sniper
Sniper

Postby cwilliams » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am

notabiker wrote:i was at lytle creek about a month ago, it is pretty nice. they did not checked for FMJ while i was their. just saying. for the SD folks it would only be a 2 HR drive on the 15 fwy. i admit Oak Tree sound like the best place to do this. i really want to check out all the MN and others at a rifle range and see us all shoot our rifles.

I'm surprised they didn't check with it being a U.S. Forest area. Their website says no steel core, but no mention of a lead core/bi-metal. They might raise an eyebrow if a group of us are all there with milsurp rifles without checking first, then again they might not.

That is definitely an easier drive for the SD folks as well and not a problem for me either since my family lives out that direction. Always a warm bed for me to stay in when I'm visiting or passing through :D

We do not need to necessarily plan this for a Friday. Traffic would be hell then anyways. Oak Tree just mentions their rifle shoot on Fridays, but says the range is open on other days as well, including Saturday. Given a far enough notice in advance, I would imagine we could rent it out.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby cwilliams » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am

TheRighttoBearArms wrote:

CWilliams: What kind of SKS are you looking at? My Yugo PAP M59/66A1 gets out of jail one week from tomorrow. haha. Only my Mosins are keeping me from thinking about it.

I haven't narrowed it down to any particular type yet. There are so many out there, I think it's just a matter of finding one that's in good shooting condition. I have my C&R FFL 03 that I have sent off to a half a dozen or so online retailers already and will probably go that route when I'm ready to purchase. However, a K-11 or K-31 might be what I go for first. I'm too in love with that straight pull bolt!
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:38 am

I put a call in to Oaktree just now, Rick is out until Monday but he'll call me back and I'll get the details.
Here is a link to Oaktree if you want to check it out.
Oaktree Gun Club
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Clubs and Club Shoots