It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Scope bubble levels

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Scope bubble levels

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:12 am

I'm a big fan of using a scope level for long range shooting. You'd be surprised at how much a slight cant of the rifle translates into horizontal dispersion. At 600 yards a few degrees of cant to either side can give you a foot wide group or more depending on the severity of the cant. I have seen this in my own shooting before and others. In fact last weekend a friend and I were rock shooting at 600 yards and my hit ration was nearly twice his. His shots were missing by hairs on both sides of the rocks. The rocks varied from 3" to 8". Just whatever was laying there. I can't justify paying $35 a piece for premium level rings so I've been using $12 level bars that mount to the picitiny rail. I recently found these vortex China knock off level rings for $2.99 and free shipping. I decided to give them a try. I hate buying China stuff but I got 8 of them, four 1" tube ones and four 30mm tube ones, shipped to me for less than the item price of one vortex one. At first look they look nearly identical to the vortex ones other than the bubble appears to not be as clear. Instead of a nice pretty green solution in a polished clear shell it's more like a milky green in a finely sanded shell. But as long as it's accurate I could care less about that. Anyways, it anyone is interested they are on eBay. I'm not posting a link but a quick search will find them easy.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Scope bubble levels

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:22 am

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:55 am

I have installed a few of these and they seem to work pretty well.

I should have mentioned in the other post that my friend was NOT using a level and was at about 35 to 40 % on hits at 600 yards on those 3"-6" rocks and with me using a level I was more around 85% on hits and my misses were on the smallest rocks. 3" - 4"
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm looking for some of these for my rifles. I've used other bubble levels in the past, these are nice as long as your rail in actually level.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:33 am

Those work great also Mark. I have those on a couple guns for several years now. My biggest complaint on those is they stick out a little far and my 6.5-284 that I use frequently, the level is wearing a hole through my gun case. The level sticks out farther than anything so tons of wear is applied to the soft case at that point.

As far as usability. The level you posted is actually much easier for me to see without repositioning my head from scope view. So on my 6.5 I actually have both levels.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion