It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Project Desh 1500yd Mosin

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Re: Project Desh 1500yd Mosin

Postby Shepard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Grimstod wrote:Joe: I sent you the CAD files.

Jerry it just a simple matter of shortening the lug ramps. Really quit easy ;)

Why not just eliminate them completely? If your redesigning it I'm not seeing the need for the ramps in the first place if the bolt is all the way forward. I'm looking inside of a receiver right now and there are no wear marks on the ramps. You could get 95-100% lug engagement if they were eliminated.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 pm

When I get to that stage I will consider it. Right now I am still sculpting the outside of it. Its getting late though. I will try to do some more work tomorrow. This will probably take a month at the rate I am going cause I still have to do the bolt assembly.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 285 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Ben that's an awesome model. I look forward to seeing the bolt.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby 0933 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Shepard wrote:Why not just eliminate them completely? If your redesigning it I'm not seeing the need for the ramps in the first place if the bolt is all the way forward. I'm looking inside of a receiver right now and there are no wear marks on the ramps. You could get 95-100% lug engagement if they were eliminated.

I'm thinking you might need some relief (or ramp), as the Mosin is a push feed design. You need the leverage of the bolt closing for the extractor to 'pop over' the rim. On all of my Mosins, the bolt body is bearing on the rear of the ejection port... pushing the bolt forward. Without ramps, you would have to pop the extractor over the rim before the receiver would let the bolt lock.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 12
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Tomas I understand what your saying about the extractor pawl jumping over the case rim. I've worked on this problem in my SV and in DW and have got the extractor to engage just sliding the bolt all the way in but not in battery. Do you think you could get away with a little bit of a ramp in the receiver and a little on the bolt lugs?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 0933 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 am

Shepard wrote:Tomas I understand what your saying about the extractor pawl jumping over the case rim. I've worked on this problem in my SV and in DW and have got the extractor to engage just sliding the bolt all the way in but not in battery. Do you think you could get away with a little bit of a ramp in the receiver and a little on the bolt lugs?

I'm pretty sure you could get away with ramps that were alot smaller... also thinking about this, the bolt body hits the 'ramp' at the forward part of the ejection port, the top, rear portion of the receiver ring. That part of the receiver might need to be altered/milled out too.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Postby Grimstod » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Surpluses secret project really has me thinking. What about 300wsm? it's about same case only fatter but no bigger then the base of the 54r. Would have to make it a switch barrel setup and that doesn't bother me.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... mpetition/
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 285 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 pm

Grimstod wrote:Surpluses secret project really has me thinking. What about 300wsm? it's about same case only fatter but no bigger then the base of the 54r. Would have to make it a switch barrel setup and that doesn't bother me.

I have thought about a 300 WSM Mosin a lot also. In fact a month ago I brought a spent case home from my buddies to try in the mag and such. I'm sure with very little modification it would work. The case fit in the mag but was snug enough that it wouldn't fall through. It took very light pressure to slide it. So I thing you could simply use a set of wedges to slightly expand the mag to allow the case to move freely. It would be such a slight expansion the eye probably wouldn't even notice.

Jared

Also only a very thin shim around the case head to fit the bolt
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)

Postby 0933 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am

Grimstod wrote:Surpluses secret project really has me thinking. What about 300wsm? it's about same case only fatter but no bigger then the base of the 54r. Would have to make it a switch barrel setup and that doesn't bother me.

I say go for it!! A 300wsm is a little step up from the 54r case... external balistically speaking. You shouldn't have any problem finding a load that would be consistent out to 1500 yds.

I'm just throwing this out there... but you could make a dedicated 300wsm and use DBM's.

The savage magazines are double stack/single feed.

I'm sure it would be fairly easy (comparatively) to adapt some bottom metal for the Mosin that would accept the Savage magazine. The design of the magazine would limit the amount of receiver modification. The bottom lug would have to be squared though... like on Dmitry's 8mm.

Postby Fung_13 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Grimstod wrote:I need to find some sort of a drag bag that this thing will fit in. Now the case that you see in the first post will be nice for competitions but I must be able to take this thing into the woods. Thing is no one make drag bags longer then 46in

Question for all of you. Do you know of any drag bags that will fit a longer gun. I estimate this things will be 55in long. And depending on the muzzle break/tuner this thing gets it will even be longer.

I would try Tactical Tailor. Call them and tell them what you want and they will tell you whether or not they can do it. Bet they can for that is how they started. The owner was in the Army and sniper also, but he didn't like some of the gear he was issued so he designed his own and modified his gear.
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion