It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Project Desh 1500yd Mosin

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Re: Project Desh 1500yd Mosin

Postby Shepard » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

The inline stock like Accuracy Internationals Arctic Warrior and the SV98 sniper rifle are for me the most accurate of all the stocked rifles I own.

Ben -- if you want to buy a receiver from Izmash -- I not sure that would ever happen. Here is the only opportunity I have found that comes close to an SV98 that can be imported into the United States. Izmash's 67/B Record. You can afford this, it gives you 10 round magazines and an integrated scope mount. If you can afford to build the rifle you have proposed -- this will be a walk in the park.

http://www.rwcgroupllc.com/firearms/izm ... oden-stock

Here is a Drag bag that will fit a post hole digger its so long.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JDY644/ref ... nkCode=asn
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am

8330$ isn't a walk in the park. This is a cool discovery. Lots of people on other forums have been asking if you can get an SV98 in the US and that gun is for all intensive purposes a SV98 just with a brown stock instead of a green on.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 am

Mark this article was interesting. It shows the increase in velocity over different barrel lengths. He also does one about the difference in barrel stiffness over differences in length.
Barrel whip getts harder to combat as a barrel gets longer. So it is clear the a runner will def be a plus for the 32in barrel.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bu ... locity.htm
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

I really like that site I've always found great info from there. The one think I found interesting in the other article was the 2 concerns of bullet drag and fouling with the longer barrels. I think with the proper powder you could combat some of the fouling issue. I'm still trying to find the exact formula for the amount of time it takes for a bullet to travel 32 inches vs say 24. The reason is the acceleration is not a constant, as the pressure builds the bullet speed increases. But then as the barrel gets longer without the correct powder loading the bullet begins to decelerate due to drag.

A slow clean burning powder with definitely be the way to go but proper ignition of the charge then becomes critical, perhaps a magnum primer would be the key, but you would probably be in uncharted ground as far as load development. I'm wondering if the XBR-8020 powder wouldn't be the perfect candidate for this.
Here is some info
"IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and “tack driving” accuracy. Clearly, the competitor’s “choice” and the Varmint Hunter’s “dream powder”."

Barrel whip really becomes a factor the longer the bullet stays in the barrel. Stiffer barrels will help for sure.

Great stuff Ben

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Imr 7828ssc would be a good match, it gets me 3400 fps in my 22 middlestead with a 26" barrel and 75 gr bullet
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 pm

The SV receiver is much different then the receiver of the Record 67/B. The Record has a pic rail -- The SV98 does not. The SV has a monster dovetail that allows the scope to slide off the rear of the receiver. This way the sniper doesn't have to drag his 1-2or3 thousand dollar scope on the ground. I watched the video and when he pulls the scope -- he calls the mount a picatenney rail which is incorrect. I don't understand, cause there is no slots in the dovetail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFhQMlv ... FF263E576A

Here is an explanation of the difference between weaver rail and a picatenney rail.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1072 ... ifference_
Shepard

Postby Shepard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Grimstod wrote:Mark this article was interesting. It shows the increase in velocity over different barrel lengths. He also does one about the difference in barrel stiffness over differences in length.
Barrel whip getts harder to combat as a barrel gets longer. So it is clear the a runner will def be a plus for the 32in barrel.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bu ... locity.htm

I studied the article long enough to see all the numbers are for a 33 caliber rifle not a 30. Even the smallest 33 caliber cartridge case has a whole volume then any 30. The information is valid on the basics that a longer barrel will increase velocity. I'm getting 2650 FPS with my 175 gr SMKs out of a 26" barrel. I'm going to do some side experimentation to see if with the right powder I can get that up to 2950-3000 FPS. I know that with the wrong burn rate powder that my long barrel can do me more harm then good. If the power pulse ends before the bullet breaks the muzzle --- the bullet will start to be slowed by the barrel and "can" get stuck in the bore. Thats why we don't load lower then recommended powder charges. I would like to see the numbers for a 30 caliber rifle with a longer barrel. That way the information would be based on something we can really use. Great info -- gives you something to think about. I want to find out the minimum power pulse [psi]required for a 30 caliber rifle.
Shepard

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Wow 3000 fps is Mach 2.6! That would be impressive indeed out of a 120+ year old cartridge. At those speeds I wonder if a Moly coating would be advisable to help with wear.

I know after talking with 0933 about his project rifle with high speeds comes a very short barrel life.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Found this info, while it's not our caliber it does have some useful information Barrel FAQ
Here is an excerpt
  How Much More Velocity Will I Get with a Longer Barrel? Going from 20" to 24" can increase velocities up to 160fps (40fps per added inch), depending on the rifling. After that, expect another 25-30fps extra velocity for each added inch up to about 28". Beyond that, you'll probably get a little extra speed, especially with 6BR Improved cases. We recently completed a barrel velocity test using a rail-gun. A Krieger 6mm barrel chambered for a standard 6BR was cut down from 33" to 28" in one-inch increments. The Average Velocity at 33" was 40 fps higher than at 28". The Average Velocities showed a pretty steady increase of 8 fps per inch past 28". For example the Average Velocity at 30" was 16 fps higher than at 28". Based on this study, you're not going to gain much by going from 28" to 30". And world-record-holder Richard Schatz is getting 3025fps with his 6 Dasher using a 26" Hart barrel. So arguably, 26" is long enough, at least for the Improved cases. For maximum speed, 30" is a useful limit, but remember that this adds weight to the gun and you'll be sacrificing barrel stiffness.  

Great read too..

Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Jerry did you see a speed increase when you switched to moly coated bullets? all the reviews I have seen say there is a speed drop with moly but all the bullet manufacturers say that it improves speed. More speed seams logical to me.
Aristotle
Grimstod

PreviousNext

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion