It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:07 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Credit Due.....And Thanks

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Credit Due.....And Thanks

Postby Grindl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 pm

I had the chance to take my "new" build for "her" first foray to the LR range last week-end , and I could not have been more estatic with the results. But before I "tell the Tale" , I would like to thank every member on this Site for their wisdom , knowledge and information that allowed me to create a very successful "build". The time and expense that was circumvented from "Your" help cannot be over-stated . Thank You , One and all.
The "Range" went to a maximum of 650 yards and is slightly up-hill with the farthest target aprox.30 feet above shooting positions. Targets are steel sihlouetes , 18"x 24"vertically .
First shot was "Cold Bore" at 350 yds.(200 yd zero)and cross-hairs centered at top of head.Result? Center mass hit. 375,400, 450,500,600,& 650 were the same. For some odd reason I could not "hit" the 550 and after nine rounds at that one target without even a graze , I gave up on that one and enjoyed the "moment". Pleased with the rifle and "It's" wonderful performance.
All shots were taken without "adjusting" the scope , using the "Old" Sniper methods of Hash-marks and compensations for wind. As a former Sniper; I expect to have solid proficiency and this rifle is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to shoot.
About a half hour later; A friend of mine asked to shoot her , and since he is a solid shooter I said yes. His first shot was near "Cold Bore" at 500 yrds. and dead center. He hit every target and there was nearly a "confrontation", :lol: :lol: to get him to give her back . And coming from a Rem 700-BDL shooter , that's a decent endorsement .
Ammo used was Bulgarian Mil-surp,148 grn. that I "re-worked" according to the RSI doctrine of setting OAL and light crimp. And it does work really well for fifty-nine year old stuff.
I am a "Beginner" in the M-N world , and I want to thank every single one of you for all the years worth of info that did this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now ; There's that "re-loading" thing .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Credit Due.....And Thanks

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Congrats on your success. That is exactly what I hoped this site would become when I started it all those years ago. I'm very proud of the user base here. Yeah we may not be the highest posting forum on the planet, but the info here is second to none. Thanks for your kind words, I'm sure all the guys here have a smile when they read stuff like this. We know exactly what this platform can do and it's nice to see it proved over and over again to the close minded. Now lets see if we can get you reloading. :shock:
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion