It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Precision Zeroing Target

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Precision Zeroing Target

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:28 pm

I am posting this in the Long Range category because I use this for getting an accurate Zero on my long range guns.

For a long time I searched for a very precise target for zeroing my guns and everything I could find had these huge 1" or bigger center dots. Some had crossing lines to help you get the crosshairs lined up better, which I liked, but most were way to big or thick. So I set down and made my own one day. It's got a 1/2" center dot for precise aiming and the reticle lines to help make sure that you have the exact same "cant" or "levelness" to the rifle on each shot. These help give you the best chance of shooting your rifles best group each time, or getting the truest zero.

Jared
This target is for printing on 8.5' x 11' paper. I had to shorten it 56 pixels on height to post it. Not sure how that will effect it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Precision Zeroing Target

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 am

I'm not the most computer savvy person, but it would be great to have like a 1/2" grid on this target in a real light gray or blue. A shade that you can't see at 100 yards through the scope but you can see up close. If anyone knows how to do that it'd be great.

Feel free to download and use this target how you want. It's just something I made to fit my needs.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Jared would you like me to try and do a 1/2 grid? I would think it best to work from the center out.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Sure Mark. That would be great. I made this one in "Paint" in 5 minutes and went to shooting. ;)

I do agree that if you had the right program and knew how to use it, that working from the center out would be the best. That way you would know that everything lined up perfectly. Since mine is not centered on the center of the sheet I know of know way to grid it without physically doing it on paper and scanning it. But I don't think it would take a knowledgable person long to make a new one. I'd be very great full if you could make one. I'd like the grid light enough to not be visible from a distance through the scope but when you have the target in hand you could see how far from center you are without having to measure. Even 1/4" grid would work great. That would show you exactly how many clicks to adjust.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a second one that would match MIL clicks? A lot of us here use SWFA SS scopes in MIL/MIL. That would make zeroing very fast and easy.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:46 am

Would this be of any help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 am

It's a good looking target Jerry but I think the dot appears to be an inch or bigger. I like a very small, precise target when testing a load and zeroing a gun. It's kind of the whole "aim small, miss small" theory. I like a 1/2" or smaller dot for 100 yard work. In fact my favorite method for in the field targets is to trace a Sharpie cap with a pencil. Then fill it in with the sharpie. I don't like to use the sharpie to trace the cap because then the dot is too big for my taste. That target you posted would be a great 200 or 300 yard target though.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 am

Mark

I know you are a busy man. I was just wondering if you had tried to make a gridded target ? Thanks.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion