It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:45 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Bore Cleaning Frequency

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Bore Cleaning Frequency

Postby jaysny87 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:31 pm

There doesn't seem to be much common ground when it comes to the question "how often should one clean his long range rifle".

This is a pretty good read.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... ng-debate/

So using hand loads and not any surplus stuff how often do you guys clean your long range Mosins?
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Re: Bore Cleaning Frequency

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:08 am

Most barrels shoot best when slightly fouled. With most of my barrels I see that it takes about 5-7 shots to get it to settle into a group after a thorough cleaning. Therefore I don't clean my bore until it gets so dirty that accuracy starts to fall off. Then I clean it and shoot it to settle it into a group again and it stays that way until accuracy starts to fall off again.

Now the most important part of my system is using a bore snake to remove the heavy deposits. When ever I finish shooting I pull a bore snake 5 or 6 times to remove any large powder or other deposits from the barrel before putting the gun away. This greatly reduces the chance of any rust or corrosion developing in the barrel while it is stored. But more importantly I have found that this GREATLY increases my percentages of first round hits on long range targets. All of my guns are hunting guns first and fun guns second. If I let my guns sit without snaking it any deposits from the last shooting seem to harden and raise the bore pressure, making the first shot out of the bore go high and right. This is very minor at 100 yards but at 500 can shoot clear over the back of an animal. (I've done that). So anyways I've found that if I snake it and put it away, 9 out of 10 times I can grab it, go hunting, and put a first round, cold bore hit in the kill zone out to about 750 yards.

The boresnakes work well for that but another method I will use is to run about 10 strokes with a NYLON brush. Then run about 3 dry patches through it. Again I do this immediately after I finish shooting while any deposits are fresh and warm. Both of these cleaning methods seem to be very effective at keeping the "bullet fairy" as my buddy calls it, from stealing the cold bore hits.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby 0933 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 am

In my opinion cleaning your bore before a degrade in accuracy is like wiping before you poop. ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 pm

0933 wrote:In my opinion cleaning your bore before a degrade in accuracy is like wiping before you poop. ;)

:lol: I like that. That's a good way to put it.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu May 07, 2015 9:14 pm

I try not to mess with the barrel unless I have to , but I do use a shot-gun brush in a drill on the chamber after every session , followed up with a mop with Cleaner on the mop . Then dry patches to remove any excess . Do this barrel tipped slightly up , to keep cleaner out of it . I also clean the bolt face , extractor , and add a drop of 3in1 down the firing pin hole.
Seems to be more consistent in "charging" the round into the chamber & locking the bolt. Solid ... At least it feels that way to me
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 196 times
Kudos  Received: 140 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion