It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Hornady ELD-X

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Re: Hornady ELD-X

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Grindl wrote:Glad to see this looks as promising for .308 guys as I thought it might . I had posted in the Ammo & Reloading about it back in November . Saw a new Hornady commercial the other day on Outdoor Channel and it said something about best expansion rate being somewhere around 2600-2640 fps., if I heard it right . Pretty sure they were making reference to hunting application , Jared . Might want to check into that..Momma was kind of ; in my ear , at the time , and I didn't hear it all.
Guess I'm gonna have to build a .308 gun , cause this sure is a "reach out & touch ya" , bullet . All the data says it should be excellent for extending the accurate range on a M-N.

Hornady lists 1800 fps as the minimum velocity and I don't think there is a maximum velocity. They are probably just saying that is the sweet spot for hunting expansion. There is one guy who got some of the 212 ELD X for testing and shot some animals at moderate range, one at 1100+ yards and his longest one was a cow elk at 1588. He recovered the bullet. Out of the cow. It was said to be a quick clean kill. Based on his muzzle velocity and the bullet I estimated the velocity of the bullet on impact. Now, I don't know what elevation he shot at so I figured it at two elevations that are in elk country. But still his velocity could be higher or lower depending on the elevation. My guessed calculations show his velocity between 1230 fps and 1350 fps on impact at 1588 yards. He used the 212 ELD X which is the exact bullet I'm going to try. Based on his expansion I should have plenty energy at 800-900 yards. 1350 fps would be about 1150 yards for me. But I wouldn't want to go that low.

Here is a pic of his recovered bullet. Not massive expansion but enough to be effective.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:52 am

I haven't found any of the 212 grn eldx but I did come across some 200 grain yesterday. I picked them up to try. The BC is a little lower but still pretty high. I loaded up two 3 shot groups and shot them. It's going to take a little tuning to get them where I want them. The first group shot with the first 2 about 3/4" apart and the third made it 2". I loaded the first group at 50 grains imr4350 and it was a pretty stout load. (50 grains was also a compressed load at the length I seated the bullet). The bolt lift was slightly heavy. The second group was at 49 grains. Bolt lift was fine. Group was about 1.5". I think I'll load a group at 48 grains and try this evening if I have time before dark.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:06 pm

I got time to try 3 more shots today. I decided to try jamming the bullets into the lands slightly as this works well with Hornady match 174 grn .212" and 174 .311" SMK. I loaded this group with .015" jam which should allow me to extract them without pulling bullets. At least it does with the SMK. This group I dropped to 48.5 grains of IMR 4350. It was getting pretty dim out so I'm not sure if it would have been tighter or not. It was pretty hard to see the target, but the group measured .6". I'm going to load some more to try when I get a chance. This should be a great deer load.

Will post more as it unravels
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:15 am

I haven't validated any drop data at a distance yet to get an accurate velocity, but a guy did run the numbers through Quickload for me. It gives me an estimated velocity of 2400 fps. Which is no surprise. It seems like no matter what bullet I put thru this gun the accuracy node is around 2400 fps. That is the target speed that I wanted to stay above so I am quite pleased.

Here is a drop table with this 200 ELD X bullet @ 2400 fps. I should be able to take game with this load out to 800 yards with confidence. So one of these days when I go on a hunting trip out west this gun will probably be my backup gun.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Previous

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion