It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Range Reports

commercial .vs. surplus

Show off your groups here

commercial .vs. surplus

Postby USSR » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

So I've been wondering for a while how my favorite surplus would fare against a commercially sold brand. I decided the 4th of July was a perfect day to try out my expiriment!

The ammo used were as follows.
Surplus: 72 Bulgarian Silver tip Light ball 146 gr?
Commercial: Winchester soft tip 180 gr
Range tested: 100 yds 5 mph wind humid as all get out 92 degrees

I started out by dialing in with the commercial rounds and was VERY impressed with the consistancy. As seen below on a few groups the hits are touching.

So I decided to try surplus and see how that compared. Not quite as consistant. Plese excuse the fact the pictures loaded sideways.

All in all my findings are as such, surplus is a cheap way to shoot all the time but it takes a lot of work to be consistant. Commercial on the other hand is consistant and seems to keep trajectory better than the surplus, I think it can make a not so good shooter look much better (such as myself).

When it comes down to cost surplus wins hands down at $90 for 440 rds to MY door .vs. commercial at $42 for 40 rds. As for the results/cost debate I still think surplus is not a bad way to go if shooting for fun but if shooting in competition surplus is a horrible choice.

Well guys, let me know what you think and have a wonderful 4th of July!
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Re: commercial .vs. surplus

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 am

It could have to do with the charges on the surplus not being consistent. Factory ammo is crimped and the charges are pretty even. I've shot the Winchester stuff and will get some more when it's on sale here again, Keep that Winchester Brass it's re loadable. Ken at RSI has told me if you put a factory crimp on surplus ammo your groups will tighten up.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: commercial .vs. surplus

Postby hispanicpanic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:It could have to do with the charges on the surplus not being consistent. Factory ammo is crimped and the charges are pretty even. I've shot the Winchester stuff and will get some more when it's on sale here again, Keep that Winchester Brass it's re loadable. Ken at RSI has told me if you put a factory crimp on surplus ammo your groups will tighten up.

Seeya
Mark

Thats interesting.... I'm not familiar with reloading techniques, but can you please tell me how crimping a bullet would make a difference? What does surplus ammo currently do to keep the bullet in place?
Random avatar
hispanicpanic

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Return to Range Reports