It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:56 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Range Reports

new trigger

Show off your groups here

new trigger

Postby elkhunter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 pm

shot my 1/30 today with new timney trigger, wow what a difference,
but I also tried a reload recipe with 150 gr soft points and win 748
powder... I don't think my gun likes this recipe? could not get them to group... but shooting a box of privi 182 gr FMJ BT grouped fine and way better than last time without the new trigger. I guess I need to finish my gun before I start building a reload this gun likes. new stock and pillars and bedding are next. this is the funnest part ... building
Lee

the target is upside down in the picture I stappled it to the bord upside down... and the flyer is ppu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: new trigger

Postby magoo1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Not too bad with both of the groups, but with the prvi it has been my experience in .223 to be a bit inconstant in the bullet construction with a few "flyers" along the way. The load we came up with using W748 was a bit light, when using it in the past for other loads. I found it to work better at the top end of the pressure limits, at max or a bit over. I think if we raised the amount of powder per shot you would see an improvement. At the same time I would agree that it maybe to soon to work up a load tell the "sniper" is finished, but then will it ever be?
Mosinitis not just a disease but a condition
magoo1
Range Master
Range Master

Postby chuck91/30 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 am

Hi There,
re your reload and ppu bullets, my recipe, which gives me consistant head shots on military head and shoulder targets at 300 to 400 mtrs and great grouping, is Czech Sellier and Bellot 180gr
.311 size (no.2909 )bullets ahead of 27.6grains of Accurate 5744. Good pressure levels and consistant ignition with CCI primers. My 1933 Mosin sniper just loves them as does my little Polish 1953 carbine.
Try it you will not be disappointed.
I would like to get a Timney trigger but they are scarce over here in Scotland.
Regards,
Charles Ward
Random avatar
chuck91/30
Grunt
Grunt

Postby DevilDog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Your Win748 burn rate* (Rank#101)is right in the middle of 2 often used powders, IMR4895(#87) and IMR4350(#114) (higher number is slower), and may be suitab;e to a different bullet.

For a 150gr bullet, you want the faster burn rate. You do not mention the diameter or caliber of the bullets, but overall 150gr bullets cannot seat out to the max OAL as they are too short, resulting in a greater "jump to the lands"

As mentioned, the British .303 174gr bullets from Sierra or Hornady work the best for starters.

Per Hodgdon Burn rate Chart:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Devil Dog and I use the same two type powders and the best results so far are with heavier bullets. I'm just learning IMR4895 but can say I like what I've shot so far, Lapua brass, CCI primer 200 -- 44.5 grs of IMR 4895 under a 174gr SMK and for me it yields 2500+ fps. I also load 54 grs IMR4350 under a 174 gr SMK and it yields me 2650+ fps. My OAL is 3.012, my chamber measures 3.020 when measured with the tool mentioned in the article below. You can make it your self and use it to measure each one of your guns chamber to get the best OAL for each one.

http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby magoo1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 pm

DevilDog wrote:Your Win748 burn rate* (Rank#101)is right in the middle of 2 often used powders, IMR4895(#87) and IMR4350(#114) (higher number is slower), and may be suitab;e to a different bullet.

For a 150gr bullet, you want the faster burn rate. You do not mention the diameter or caliber of the bullets, but overall 150gr bullets cannot seat out to the max OAL as they are too short, resulting in a greater "jump to the lands"

As mentioned, the British .303 174gr bullets from Sierra or Hornady work the best for starters.

Per Hodgdon Burn rate Chart:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Yes and thanks for the information , at the same time when looking at any “burn rate chart”, as there is many of them . It is always understood that each one is “relative” to various factors, such as lot used, humidity, and case capacity of each. As such “Burn rate Charts can never reflect the differences between powders in the correct proportion, they can only place powders in approximate burn rate envelopes. In this according to Western Powders W748 is closer to H335 and IMR 3031 than 4895 or 4350. At the same time when investigating what bullet weight was used when our 91/30 was in production, we found out that in 1908 the new pointed "spitzer" bullet known as the "L" for light was adopted which weighed 9,6 grams (147 grains) and had a muzzle velocity of 855 meters/second (2800 feet/second). The increased velocity required the addition of the recoil crossbolt and a new rear sight leaf for the original rifles. It was in 1930 the Soviet D heavy ball weighing 11,8 grams (182 grains) was adopted and produced along with the Type L. It was our research that lead us to using the 150 sp .312 by Hornady as a substitute. We also found that the 174 rn in .312 to work as well as our barrels are slugged to .312 or more. As to “jump to the lands” the addition of a LEE Factory Crimp Die in reloading for the 7.62x54r provides many of the same benefits that are provided by placing the bullet into or just off of the lands. In all of the effort of getting the best load for each rifle, each and every one is a bit different and has major effects on said load. Elkhunter has related to me that a heavier bullet is what he is going to use, and me I will stick with the 150 by Hornady, as I ever change the platform from which it will be shot.

At this time I will chop the barrel of to a length of no more than 22 inches to remove the tendency for “barrel whip”, after that I will change my best load to date using IMR 4320 at 47 grains seated to the mid channalure and a firm Lee Factory Crimp, to something that would work better, perhaps to a faster powder yet i.e. IMR 8208 XBR.

Thanks
Mosinitis not just a disease but a condition
magoo1
Range Master
Range Master

Postby elkhunter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm

this is all very good info... it seems every one has his pet load...
me? well I think I am going to do more research... My primary goal is to come up with a load and bullet to hit and kill big game... and the 7.62x54r might do all that...even at some longer yardages ...the 150 gr sp Hornady is probably not the bullet i am looking for... I have always used H4350 powder and 180 gr ballistic tips in my 30-06
"re-barreled mauser and my 03-a3" so I need to find a bullet that is close to that and work from there.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 am

I had the feeling you were a hunter. Sorry for the intrusion, I was giving target load information.
Shepard

Postby elkhunter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Shepard wrote:I had the feeling you were a hunter. Sorry for the intrusion, I was giving target load information.

no intrusion at all the more input the better... I also love to target shoot, but its going to be a transition for me... I have always looked at bullets with a eye towards clean one shot kills,
now with the 7.62x54r? the bullet choices for that are limited to say the least, I may have to stick to my 30-06 for hunting.. and get into this paper hunt thing full on with my mosin... or I could re-barrel to .308 and have the best of both worlds
thanks for all of your input,the guys here are very knowledgeable and respectful,
see ya
Lee
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 am

elkhunter wrote:
Shepard wrote:I had the feeling you were a hunter. Sorry for the intrusion, I was giving target load information.
mods section.
no intrusion at all the more input the better... I also love to target shoot, but its going to be a transition for me... I have always looked at bullets with a eye towards clean one shot kills,
now with the 7.62x54r? the bullet choices for that are limited to say the least, I may have to stick to my 30-06 for hunting.. and get into this paper hunt thing full on with my mosin... or I could re-barrel to .308 and have the best of both worlds
thanks for all of your input,the guys here are very knowledgeable and respectful,
see ya
Lee

Funny thing you said about re-barreling to .308, my McGowan .308 barrel arrives today after a 10 week wait. It's my next project for the board. Keep track of me in the Mods section
Shepard

Return to Range Reports