It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Range Reports

I think I can move on!

Show off your groups here

Re: I think I can move on!

Postby Shepard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 pm

elkhunter wrote:
Marauder 1 wrote:Hey Elkhunter:

I noticed you use W748 on your loads, how does that powder burn? I've just picked up some W760 and it looks really clean burning. If I'm reading my load book correctly it looks like your pushing those 150's to around 2750 fps

Thanks
Mark

not sure i know what you mean by how does it burn? but it shoots well... we used my brothers crony and the best was about 2650 and most about 2550 to 2600... now the same loads shot out of my brothers gun at 2800... same barrel length, my gun slugged at .313
Steve's ??? I don't think he has slugged his barrel yet.. I use cci 250 magnum primers.

I don't know the difference in ignition pressure between the CCI 200 and CCI 250. Your higher FPS my be a sign that magnum primers generate higher pressures -- are they safe?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am

I don't know the difference in ignition pressure between the CCI 200 and CCI 250. Your higher FPS my be a sign that magnum primers generate higher pressures -- are they safe?  

When I took my reloading class they said if we used magnum primers you should back the load down to stay within safe pressures That Winchester 748 according to my "Load Book" using a Federal 210 primer 49.9 is MAX load and velocity should be around 2800 fps. So I think your theory is correct Shep the Mag primer is generating a higher pressure.

Elkhunter said he was using 48.5 grains and that should generate about 2750 fps IF I've got my calculations correct. His brothers gun was getting 2800 with a reduced load, more than likely a tighter bore.

Elkhunter I was asking about burn in this way, is your brass clean after firing. Dzmitry has photos of his brass after he fired some rounds with W760 powder and they are really clean. I was just wondering if it is the same with the W748.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby magoo1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 am

In thinking about W748 as to being "clean" it has always been my experience that it is very subjective in its "meaning" At the same time I found W748 to work very well at the top end of the "pressure allowance" of the cartridge it is used in, it seems to be as clean as any other powder that I have tried. I am using H335 in my loads as "my" 91/30 just loves that powder. I have worked a few loads with W748 and found H335 to work much better for me, I even went as far as shooting Elk hunters loads in mine with much worse patterns in the target. The conclusion we both drawn was "each and every" 91/30 is a bit different. As to CCI 200 verses CCI 250 used in a cartridge, Speer/RCBS/CCI says that they recommend the CCI 250 Mag primer to be used with "ball/spherical" powders in the recipes that they publish, seems to work better on the data that they have. With other publishers using standard primers with both powders equally as well. I try to stay with Winchester Large Rifle standard primers in my loads but have also used Remington 9 1/2 with good results as well as CCI 200. The only reason that I change primers is if I go to the store and find only one brand of primer on hand, (seems to be in my area a lot of empty shelves), when changing primers I start a bit low then work back up to be safe.
Mosinitis not just a disease but a condition
magoo1
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby elkhunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

Elkhunter I was asking about burn in this way, is your brass clean after firing. Dzmitry has photos of his brass after he fired some rounds with W760 powder and they are really clean. I was just wondering if it is the same with the W748.

Thanks
Mark
Mark,
my casings are fairly clean with 748...and I use the magnum primers because thats what I have.... I always stay below the maxinum load data and I see no evidence of over pressure...
this load shoots very well out of my gun...
I picked up some Ramshot powder last week cant wait to try it out
will post my results soon
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 am

Cool looking forward to the results..
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Very nice shooting. That's an Excellant group. More than adequate for hunting.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Previous

Return to Range Reports