It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Range Reports

My Long Range hunting rig

Show off your groups here

My Long Range hunting rig

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Some of you have seen my Savage 6.5-284 Norma that I've been working with. Well I guess it is officially ready for season. It was shooting 1/4 Moa after I tuned my load some, and before I figured out the die wasn't bumping my shoulder. So I adjusted the die to bump the shoulder about .0025" - .003" and now the bolt closes easy on all rounds (I could feel a slight difference in the way some rounds chambered before. Basically the shoulder was touching tighter on the chamber on some rounds more than others). After getting that bump right my group actually tightened up to just one ragged hole at 100. The other day I loaded a batch at this new "recipe" and zeroed the gun. Today I wanted to check that these few tweaks did not change my velocity or impact at some range and to check my cold bore flight path. Currently the longest available distance for me to shoot is 500 yards. I threw up the gong real quick, set up, dialed for 500, took a quick look at the wind around me and down range through he scope. I estimated a hold of around 4-5" for wind and sent one shot. I can't argue with the result. The impact on the 10" gong was approximately 1/2" high and 1/2" right of center. I can't wait for season now ! I have put a lot of time in this rifle over the past to years to get it to where I have complete confidence in it. Shots here very rarely occur beyond 600 and I have complete confidence now that if I see one in the clear here, I can put it in the freezer.

Jared
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: My Long Range hunting rig

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm

I also took a few minutes and made a ballistic label for my turret. Around here his will work ok. The effects of air density are minimal at less than 500 yards. I made this for 50 degrees so it should be fairly accurate from near freezing up to around 70. Which will cover most of my shooting. Past 500 I will use my shooter program most likely. Bottom row of numbers are MOA. Second row (red) are first rotation yardage. Third row (blue) is second rotation yardage.

Jared
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: My Long Range hunting rig

Postby farmerboy78 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Cool deal, I do the same with my scopes
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Range Reports