It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

Cartridge feeding and loading problem

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

Re: Cartridge feeding and loading problem

Postby Gamecock24 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Try taking the bolt apart, cleaning thoroughly, oil it and see if that helps. That's my first suggestion if the bolts the problem.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby marelem2000 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:23 am

Yes I have another Mosin. I exchanged bolts but had the same problem. I thought initially that the surplus ammo I have was machined badly because the rims on the cartridges felt rough. But they cycle fine in the other Mosin. I then thought maybe the extractor spring might be hitting the outside of the groove when a cartridge is chambered. I'll clean that area again but after mineral spirits, Hoppe's, carb cleaner, I'd of thought that was enough. I'll try some more today. Also thought of buying some commercial ammo for measuring to see if it really is the ammo. Thanks for the ideas.
Random avatar
marelem2000
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby marelem2000 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks I think that's where I'm going to look next. Yes, I have another one and when I changed bolts it did the same thing. I'll clean again the groove inside the receiver and see what happens. I'm waiting on some snap caps I ordered to check things properly. The bolt cycles perfectly without a cartridge chambered but I'll wait for the snap caps to verify.
Random avatar
marelem2000
Grunt
Grunt

Postby marelem2000 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 pm

I sat down and went to work. In review, bolt cycled cleanly but stuck with a cartridge in the chamber. After removing the bolt and close examination I found that the extractor spring had deep scratches across the end and with a spent cartridge inserted in the head piece it was forced outside the radius of the head piece. Also a band of scratches showed partially around the bolt head piece. After slowly sanding the extractor spring and head piece with 400 emery cloth, then 800 cloth, and cycling the bolt till no scratches appeared polished with 1500 cloth then never-dull and all seemed well. Received new snap caps today and tried them. Slicker than owl snot. Polished the rest of the bolt oiled her up. Next we try the real thing at the range. I will post the results. Evidently the machining on some of these is not that great but this ones fixed?
Random avatar
marelem2000
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration