It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

Cartridge feeding and loading problem

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

Cartridge feeding and loading problem

Postby Vinitine » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey guys hope you can help me out with this. I just took my 91/30 out this morning for the first test fire. I set in the stripper clip to load the rounds and they wouldnt feed into the mag. I removed them from the clip and tried to load them one at a time and still would not go in. It appears that the rim on the cartridge is getting blocked by tight fit between the chamber and magazine. I am able to chamber one round at a time manually. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe i did not reassemble the rifle correctly after cleaning. I am using the correct cartridges for the rifle so its not the ammo.
Thanks for helping out
Random avatar
Vinitine

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Cartridge feeding and loading problem

Postby DevilDog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Check to see that the interruptor ejector moves freely by placing your hand inside the receiver and pressing it to see that it moves out of the way when feeding cartridges:

From the inside, it should move outward. If it becomes dislodged or bound up, you will have the problem you describe.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Vinitine » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

I will look into that thank you very much
Random avatar
Vinitine

Postby USSR » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 am

A friend of mine's 91/30 had this issue, then it turned into a different one. You could fire one round then it wouldn't cycle. With some work bending the interruptor/ejector to straighten it out a bit it almost fully went away.
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:05 am

There is also one other spot to check and that is the stock. Please use snap caps when performing this test on rifles that are not on the range. don't want anyone hurt.

Load your snap caps with the action out of the stock. Do they load correctly? If they do check the area next to the interrupter on the stock to see if there is proper clearance for the interrupter to move out of the way when loading a round. IF not your going to need to do a little work in there to get it to clear.

One must remember that many of these rearsenaled rifles were not mated back with their original stocks. So there are some differences from stock to stock.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Vinitine » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks again for the assistance with this. I checked the interrupter and it felt like it was operating normally however i am going to disassemble it and check it more thoroughly.

Not sure if this helps but when i was at the range i tried loading up the bottom of the magazine. They went in and it secured but they would not feed that way either.

I will pick up some snap caps from work and run some tests this week.
Appreciate all the help guys
Random avatar
Vinitine

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Be careful of rim lock, if you load the rounds improperly the rims will interlock causing a jam. Make sure that the top rounds rim is the most forward in the strip clip and each round is stacked in behind of the next one. Watch the video, he does it correctly. There are others on YouTube that are wrong.
Watch on youtube.com

Like he says.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby kermit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 am

josh smith does a mod to ejector that helps ease use of stripper clip use in mosin nagant rifles and carbines.
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Postby marelem2000 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a Tula 1936 Hex and went to the range for the first time with some surplus ammo. I loaded the first shot manually and afte firing the bolt would not cycle. The bolt would stick part way up but would fully cycle to eject the spent round. I took it to the range master who bumped it with a rubber mallet to get it to cycle and eject the round. Thought it was a fluke so tried another round but the same result. Took it home and found youtube video on cleaning the chamber. Did that and tried to chamber a spent casing with the same result. Any ideas?
Random avatar
marelem2000
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby Grimstod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 pm

It's not a dirty chamber. Have you cleaned out the locking lugs on the inside of the receiver. If there is dried cosmoline there it can make it stiff. That or a bad ejector or extractor. Do you have another mosin to compare it with?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration