It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

Rear sight modification

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

Rear sight modification

Postby opos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 am

Everything I read and my very limited experience with the stock rear sight tends to suggest that the 91-30's tend to shoot high. I read or saw something about the solution would be a higher front sight but in lieu of that would another and really simple fix be to take a small file and slowly and carefully cut the notch in the rear sight a bit deeper? I'd think this might work but don't want to ruin a sight unless someone else has experience with it..thanks
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Re: Rear sight modification

Postby DevilDog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 am

Yes, the typical Mosin is sighted for about 200 yards at the bottom of the leaf position. Raising the front sight post is easy and reversible, so it is the most often chosen path.

The simplest method is to obtain some heat shrink tubing or strip some small gauge wire and use the covering. Slide it over the front post and trim to length.

Filing the rear is certainly an option, but requires a bit more precision and is not reversible. I have always found the notches to seem a bit off anyway, but that could just be my eyes.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby opos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Amazing...I'm batting 100%...if there are 2 ways to do something...one difficult and one very easy...I will always pick the difficult route...That's why I never got rich...Thanks!!
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Even11 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Thats why we are all here, hanging out sharing experiences and ideas; preventing other members from banging their head against a wall to do something the hard way.
lol

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby opos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

No, no...you have it all wrong...people like me come here to provide amusement for the folks in the know...Really interesting...I've been involved with all sort of guns and reloading since the 50's....I'm sort of the "old timer" on some of the boards and on some topics..But not on anything like the Mosin..other milsurp weapons, yep, and I apologize in advance...I don't know how many 03's, 03a3's, Enfields, etc we "sporterized" in those days but they were $20 or $25 rifles that made great deer and elk rifles....I have loaded for years....so I ought to know better than to get all involved with something "new"...but the Mosin's fascinated me....kept seeing them selling for a hundred bucks and the ballistics looked really interesting so I bought one...big mistake...I'd not looked on the boards for Mosins or any other rifle..strictly Ruger single action big bores (my first love)...then there was another one...then my buddy said what the heck...now "we" have 4 of them between us and that's how it begins...My interest is not in modifying but in keeping things original or a slight "reversable" mod...I got a buddy with a place in the foothills that's perfect for shooting...so that's the current "addiction". Thanks for letting me come here and be a "newcomer"...it's just a lot of fun and so far (may change) not much money....the dies are on the way and I got 200 rounds of brass...oh my.
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby sidewayskid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 am

A bit late but.....
Drop the sight leaf. In the rear, where it contacts the receiver,
remove approx .020 with fine file. On this 91/30 it gave me a 100yd zero. I have an extra rear sight to return to standard. Filing the sight V does work. This was done on a VZ-24. Not so much to alter height, but to clean up edges. It just takes a few shots to remember where to place the post in the V.
Comforting to see that I am not the only one thinking about this stuff!
sidewayskid
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Shepard » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 am

Food for thought -- the little off wheel in your dremel kit can be used to cut the sight V more accurately than a file.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration