It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

Izzy 1936 Restoration (well mostly)

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

Izzy 1936 Restoration (well mostly)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Ok this was my first attempt to restore a mosin. Wanted to get it as clean as posable. Some will hate me but I did decide to strip and revarnish the stock. I work in a woodshop so I have to have my wood looking nice or it bugs me.
So this is what I came back from the dealer with. I thought it looked nice and they had about 30 to choose from. Got some hunting ammo too. In all about 160$
ImageImage
One big mistake I made was to neglect checking the fit of my bayonet. This barrel does not fit to either of my bayonets. I guess the barrel must be thicker than the typical Mosin. Do I hear more accuracy? We will see.

To me the rifling looked good but the end of the barrel has a lot of ware due to improper cleaning. at the end of the barrel the rifling disappears almost completely.
Here is the cosmoline removal process. Once I started getting my hands dirty with the degreaser I stopped taking photos. I do have photos of the actual cleaning process that I did on my second gun and will probably post them later.
I took everything apart and I mean everything.
I tried to get the longest tub that I could so I could submerge the entire barrel but you don't need to. The only thing you will need to get the grease of on is the front and rear sight and the receiver. You do however need to get all the grease that is in the inside of the chamber and locking lug area. Cut a toothbrush in half and stick it up in there. This will make you bolt cycle nice and smooth.
In entire, the project was about 4 solid hours of work. My second gun took only 2 so I improved my efficiency by a significant margin. :D
More photos to come. I love these guns. :!:

I also degreased all the metal parts on the stock except the clips the hold the hand guard bands in place.
With any stock that I have encountered there was a lot of grease in the bed of the action of the stock.
Eventually I had two hair driers running at the same time. I would prop them up to point at the stock and let them run while I worked with the metal parts. Every few minutes I would come back to the stock and wipe them down, then move the hair driers. Make sure your wiring is good. You will trip the breaker with two hair driers. :cry:
As I finished each part I would take them out of the bath with needle nose pliers and blow them off with air pressure. I got some of the degreaser on the lens of my camera and that scared me a little so I stopped taking photos after that.
Here is the stock stripped.
I used minwax poly cote on it. 7 cotes total over two weeks.
Here she is in my ground blind. She looks great to me and always turns heads at the gun range.
First doe too
Here are some range reports. Not that great but I did recently quark the barrel. We will see just how much that helps.
This is about a 1.5in spread at 83 yards.
Pics of the quark job.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Izzy 1936 Restoration (well mostly)

Postby DevilDog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Ya know, sometimes those stocks are peeling or scraped up, and refinishing is the only option to preserving them for years to come, especially a rifle your going to use!

Thanks for bringing the "I used a Mosin for hunting" story too! I love it!

BTW, Snow covered Mosin...EPIC!
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: Izzy 1936 Restoration (well mostly)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks DevilDog.
I loved hunting with this rifle. Was trully disapointed when muzzloader season came cause I could not take my mosin anymore :(
This year I strictly shot at 100 yards or less. Next year if I can improve my skills a little perhaps I will feel ambitious enough to reach out to 200 or more. This caliber is totally capable of it. Regardless of what the Remington snobs say
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration