It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:25 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

Stock Restoration Project

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

Stock Restoration Project

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 am

I've got a nice Wartime stock I'm working on at the moment, it's nothing spectacular like an Arctic Birch but it's a cool stock. I do however want to reenforce the top hand guard. These always seem so thin and fragile. I was thinking after I totally have the stock stripped I could lay some super fine mesh fiberglass in the barrel channel and then skim coat it with a thin layer of Devcon or JB Weld. Then sand the barrel channel smooth. Since both the Devcon or JB Weld have steel in them it should also help in preventing the barrel from over heating the wood. Any thoughts from you guys?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Stock Restoration Project

Postby 0933 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 pm

That should work Mark... depending on the clearance between the barrel and the hand guard, you might need to sand a little bit out before hand.

I'll deffer to more experienced woodworkers, like Dmitry... However I think the idea is sound.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration