It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration

refinishing Mosin stocks

Got a sick Mosin Nagant? Maybe we can help. Post your repair questions here.

refinishing Mosin stocks

Postby rjmt » Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 am

found this on an old listing at another site
before I start, has anyone tried this method?
I have to wait until the weather warms up and humidity drops up here in the NW before I start any stock restorations
my wife dosen't allow me to work in the kitchen anylonger

Old Man on the Mountain

What is the best way to apply shellac to the stock of a Mosin -Nagant when refinishing?

If you're touching up an original finish, get a small can of Bullseye amber shellac and a can of boiled linseed oil. With a small brush, dip into the shellac and touch up and fill in any areas of bare wood. Then take a pad of cotton cloth, like t-shirt material, and fold it into a 3" pad. Apply a little boiled linseed oil to it (you buy it as "boiled linseed oil", don't cook it on your stove). With a little oil on the cloth, dip it into the shellac and then start rubbing it over the stock, small areas at a time. You'll immediately see the finish start to clean up and shine. Continue this until you're satisfied with it.

This is called a French polish, very traditional, been around for hundreds of years. The purpose of the oil is to keep the cloth from sticking to the shellac as you're rubbing it in, like a lubricant. Basically, you're blending new shellac with the old.

After it's dry, take a paper towel and wipe off any leftover oil that may remain. The paper towel has a little silica in it that will soften the high gloss better than any steel wool can do. The problem with steel wool is that it will leave bits of the metal embedded in the shellac.

Don't put any wax on top of it, that will make a big mess if you have to go back and touch up the shellac again, such as repairing scratches. Nothing else is needed on top of the shellac.

If you've already stripped the stock, brush on a coat of shellac as a sealer coat. When it dries, the grain might feel a little rough, take that down gently with very fine sandpaper. Then do the French polish.
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 36 times
Medals: 2
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Re: refinishing Mosin stocks

Postby jaysny87 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:36 am

I've refinished two mosin stocks in the past but did not use this method. Took them both down to the bare wood and sanded stained and finished. i actually used oven cleaner and heavy steel wool to remove the old finish and soaked in cosmoline(which there was a lot of). the end results came out pretty nice.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby rjmt » Sat May 30, 2015 11:29 am

Jaysny, I'm familiar with your method of fully stripping the stocks
what I wish to do is just touch up or over-finish the original. Of 4 Mosin's, only one is bad enough to need full stripping. When the gunsmith mounted the reproduction PEM scopemount on my '32 Hex, he had to file down the stock to allow the PEM mount to slide off. Just want to refinnish this area, not strip and refinish the entire stock.
I also have a '31 with a preware stock with a Russian splice. I don't want to fully strip that stock - just touch up over the wear areas

I hate to ruin a classic prewar stock if this Home Depot Amber Shellac is not appropriate

thanks for your feedback

Old Man on the Mountain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby rjmt » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:57 pm

OK, tried Bullseye Shellac form Hope Depot on my Mosin

after 2 weeks, it still has not cured or hardened, even after leaving it in the sun

found this today:

mixed shellac is only good for 6 month - old shellac may not dry

"Use of mixed shellac that has begun to polymerize may suffer from never successfully drying!"

:thumbdown:
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Mosin Nagant Repairs & Restoration