It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Tools and Equipment


Discussion of tools and equipment for gunsmithing and refinishing of Mosin Nagant Rifles


Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm

I was wondering if there is a tool for a lathe that will hold a piece of round stock at the opposite end of the chuck to keep it from flexing while you turn the center down. I was thinking something like a drill chuck but I know that is not correct.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
User avatar
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:29 pm
Location: USA
Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 348 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Question

Postby Grimstod » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 am

What your talking about is called tool deflection. Yes you should support both ends to minimize this as much as posable!

You can see some of it in action here and he talks about several styles. All his videos are a must watch.

Watch on
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
User avatar
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Tools and Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



User Menu

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 756 on Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest