It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:53 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Tools and Equipment

Belt and disc sander

Discussion of tools and equipment for gunsmithing and refinishing of Mosin Nagant Rifles

Belt and disc sander

Postby Gamecock24 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey guys I'm looking for a good budget belt and disc sander. I'm just wondering what any you guys have or use. I have looked into a few from Grizzy because they're affordable but the only draw back I've read about is they use proprietary belts you can only get from Grizzy. I've also seen a Rockwell but haven't seen reviews on it yet. Any personal experience with a good reliable belt please share. Thanks.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Re: Belt and disc sander

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:22 pm

I have one very similar to this model Harbor Fright And Tools Disc and Belt Sander It works quite well for a small unit. Only 79.00 and with a 25% off coupon it could be around 60.00 when it's all said and done.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks Mark I'll have to go and look at one of those. I'm going to try to make a couple of knives and see how it goes but don't want to be heavily invested into it if it turns out to be harder than I think. On the second hand if I do really get into knife making I don't want to be wishing I had gotten a better tool.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 am

I have several Grizzly tools and there great. I have the belt sander but no disc on the side. If you feel like your going to do this for more then one or two blades -- I'd go for the next size bigger. Here is one for a few dollars more you get the belt and a stone.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-B ... nder/H7760
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:30 am

I've had really good luck with delta brand. My stuff is the older stuff though. I think portercable has bought them since then. Not sure if the quality is still the same.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Belt and disc sander

Postby Gamecock24 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:37 am

That's almost the one I was looking at. I was checking out the H6070 and it has a 1" belt but the one you showed Jerry has the 2" belt. I do want to check on availability and cost of the belts since I'm not sure how long they last I want to make sure I can get more if needed without forking out too much more money. I also started looking at one made by JET but it's $400 and another by Kalamazoo for $300 and no disc on it but has all positive reviews.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 am

ShootnMathews wrote:I've had really good luck with delta brand. My stuff is the older stuff though. I think portercable has bought them since then. Not sure if the quality is still the same.

One of the big box stores sells Delta like Lowes or Home Depot right? I've only been looking online at this point. But have been acquiring knife blade blanks and blank scales for my projects. Once I get a few done and figure it out, my goal is to do custom set of Damascus kitchen knives for the wife. This should be another fun hobby with hopefully a quicker turn around time than building guns because for me that's where the satisfaction comes from completing projects. Who knows I may even be able to sell some knives and turn a profit or at least pay for the sander and other supplies.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Return to Tools and Equipment