It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Tools and Equipment

New 7x10 Mini Lathe Owner

Discussion of tools and equipment for gunsmithing and refinishing of Mosin Nagant Rifles

New 7x10 Mini Lathe Owner

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm

First off yeah I know it's not all that big, but I needed a small lathe for turning parts on that didn't need a lot of room. Plus I can keep this and buy a larger one later. I ended up going with the HF version for a couple of reasons. I was going to go with the Grizzly but after doing some research found out the HF and the Grizzly are basically the same machine, in fact the parts are interchangeable. The HF version came with a live center and while the Grizzly did not.

I picked up the drill chuck, Drill Centers, Cutting tools and Chip Brushes all out the door for under 500.00. I'm going to get some better cutting tools after I get it all setup. I figured IF I wreck a inexpensive one on the setup that will save me later.

The main thing is going to be clean up and adjustment. The thing is doused in what looks like cosmoline. I guess I'll have to take it completely apart and scrub it with mineral spirits. May other suggestions are welcome.

What do you guys suggest for lubricants? I have some Engine Assembly Lube from Torco that is really slippery and really works great for putting a motor together. They also have some other really cool products available.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: New 7x10 Mini Lathe Owner

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Congratulations on the machine. A live center is indispensable on any size lathe. And don't forget to get some tap magic or some other sort of cutting oil for cutting steel, it will increase tool life drastically.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:26 pm

That is on the list of stuff to purchase for sure. I learned to use a lathe in High School and I used to be pretty good at it. BUT that was a while ago. So it's going to be a learning curve again. I'm going to need all the input i can get for setting proper cutting angles for various materials etc. I hope you guys won't mind my rookie questions

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:24 am

4 hours of clean up later and now I need to adjust gibs on the cross slide, it binds a bit in the middle of it's travel no biggie. I read where some guys lap the metal parts but I don't have a solid steel plate. I'm trying to find out if there is a motor break in procedure. Anyway chips should be flying this week!
Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Pictures please :shifty:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 287 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Tools and Equipment